Duplicacy gets mad at the Backoff

My first backup job failed. This is the error:

[05:20:44] Backup operation returned an error:
ERROR: Failed to upload the chunk some-long-number Maximum backoff reached

Does this mean that I might have corrupt data? Should I cleanup BackBlaze and restart the job again or is it safe for me to continue where it left off?

I have 4 threads set in the GUI. Should I only be using 1?

Did it show any log message like URL request url returned status code xxx before the error?

There won’t be any corrupt data when Duplicacy failed to upload a chunk. You can just restart the job without the need to clean the B2 bucket. If some files change between two backups then it will just leave some unreferenced chunks on the storage.

You can delete those unreferenced chunks by running duplicacy prune -exclusive -exhaustive when no backup to the bucket is running.

If there are no file change then there won’t be any unreferenced chunks.

I don’t see any message like that in the log. But it started uploading a second time since it was on a schedule. I’lll wait for it to get done and delete any unreferenced chunks as you suggest then attempt to restore a few directories. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Thanks again.

I do see the URL request url message in the log now. It says status code 503

B2 returns 503 all the times. Sometimes their upload servers return this code intentionally (for congestion control I guess). Usually Duplicacy can connect to a different upload server successfully on the retry, so this error normally doesn’t cause the maximum number of retries to be reached.

Thanks for the info.

I’m loving Duplicacy! I purchased a few more licenses for family and friends taking advantage of the deeper discounts on multiple purchases at once. This software is amazing and I’m looking forward to trying out Vertical Backup once I have my backups with this are running solid.

Thanks for doing a fantastic job with this!

Glad to see another happy user!