Check -chunks doesn't seem to do anything

What about an option to automate this, e.g. check -allchunks? And it would be helpful to be able to schedule jobs at monthly intervals with the Web UI.

Oh wow, this is horrifying! I’m also (former) long time (at least a decade) Crashplan user, but I never noticed that (granted, I was not aware that this is a possibility and wasn’t reading every log message). This means their storage is unreliable crap with no redundancy. This is legitimately scary.

Backup solution that relies on users not losing files… Yeah. And then what about version history? It would be also gone, and silently at that.

I don’t know what to say… just wow… I’m terrified in a hindsight.

1 Like

I had archives both locally and on CP Central, and I don’t recall which needed “self healing”. But you’ve got to admire CP’s marketing department. :wink:

2 Likes

Not necessarily their storage arrays - we can’t know that - but wouldn’t surprise me if their reliance on big honking databases is what the real cause here is. The verification procedure took eons.

Anyway, glad I moved away from CP years ago, lost all hope in their product after years of promising a native client (non-Java). The horror stories I’ve heard since of people losing their whole backups (or anything over X GB) and nothin’ Code42 could do about it, is scary enough.