Different Jobs from the same repository but with different filters

Hello and sorry for my english.

There is another question in the forum regarding the new UI with filter options, but I don’t know if it will solve my current needs.

So i will ask right away and if it’s the same thing we can delete this.

I’m coming from crashplan where i could create backups from the same folder, to two or more locations each of them with different filters. As I’m a photographer I have a big catalog of photos that are in the same folder, but each of this folders are different jobs in different states of completion. I need to create multiple backups of them: to cloud, my NAS and another lacie server.

Is there a way to do this in the current state of Duplicacy? Every time I create a new job, using the folder that have all my photos, when i specify the filters, it imports the one from other job… if i change that, the job it was created earlier lose that filter.

Thank you!

I think this should work:

• Create 2 empty directories
  • Under each directory create a symlink to your photo library. This will bring in your photo library as a subdirectory
  • Then initialize each with a different filter set
1 Like

Hi @gchen

It seems to partially work.
My problem now is that I can’t exclude a folder inside my photo gallery. It says that the subfolder needs to be inside de repo.

This is my folder sequence, !na_fila is the one i need to exclude from this set of backup.

Is it possible?

How are you trying to exclude it? Like this?

-BK B2/FotosLIVE symlink/2018/2018_2/!na_fila/

I was using the app with GUI. I’m not advanced in command lines. Unfortunately i had to move from Duplicacy to another software. Maybe in the future…

I was referring to an exclusion path, not a command line anything: if you click on the button next to repository in the UI you will see list of exclusions. I was wondering what was your exclusion path that did not work.

On another note, there is a GUI redesign coming in the coming months that will likely address usability issues; This would be a good cause to re-evaluate duplicacy, if you must use GUI.

Otherwise you may want to consider command line; it’s not intimidating and pretty simple to use; in fact I myself started with UI but then realized that command line version is easier to use and provides more flexibility. Some features are currently only available though the command line. Then, once setup and scheduled to run periodically you don’t really need to interact with it ever again. But I agree, that is a matter of taste.

1 Like

I have made the filters file a symbolic link to the different filter files I have configured. In my cron job configuration, I change the symbolic link of filters file to be the one that is necessary for the particular backup. Ultimately, I am hoping that the “-filters” option is added from command line to be able to select the appropriate filters file (as was pointed out in another thread).