Duplicacy unable to check BackBlaze storage due to 'connection refused' error on port 443

The past 13 months, I’ve had BackBlaze and Duplicacy playing nice with my Unraid, backing up files from one of my shares. It has suddenly stopped working, and for the life of me I have made zero changes to my Unraid config since this happened. When trying to run the backup job I get the following error:

2023/02/17 17:23:45 Failed to check the storage at b2://SHARENAME: Head “https://f004.backblazeb2.com/file/SHARENAME/config”: dial tcp 192.168.7.1:443: connect: connection refused

I ended up deleting the storage and backup info in Duplicacy and attempted to start from scratch. When I enter Key ID, Application Key, and Bucket to recreate the storage, I see the following error in the logs:

2023/02/17 17:23:45 ERROR STORAGE_ERROR Head “https://f004.backblazeb2.com/file/SHARENAME/config”: dial tcp 192.168.7.1:443: connect: connection refused

I do not know where this port 443 is coming from, as no Duplicacy json file references it, nor is it listed under the container settings. An incomplete NextCloud docker DID have a reference to port 443, but it was not running. Deleting NextCloud and restarting the Unraid server made no difference.

The error message references port 443 on my router itself (Eero), not the Unraid IP. I tried adding port forwarding for Unraid, but this had no effect. I tried adding another port to the Duplicacy container, but I could never get this change to apply and save.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Could something non-obvious be tying up port 443? Thanks in advance. Please let me know if more info is required, and I will be happy to provide.

I am not an expert with Duplicacy or Unraid but what I can tell you is 443 is the port for HTTPS and the 192.168.7.1 is a private IP address. Is that your Unraid address or the router network address? If it is maybe you are blocking the port address incoming with a firewall.

Correct, this is my router IP. I don’t know why these 443 errors are suddenly appearing as my Unraid server has always been set to use HTTPS, and everything worked fine.

I tried turning off TLS for Unraid, so now I’m connected non-securely. Additionally, I checked Settings for Duplicacy Web, and there’s nothing populated for HTTPS address and HTTPS domain.

I did try opening 443 for the Unraid IP in my Eero router, but that made no difference. The error is showing ‘connection refused’ on the router IP, not my Unraid IP. I see no way to open that port on the router IP level.

This is either a DNS issue, or you’ve set up to use a proxy server running on your router. Try to run dig f004.backblazeb2.com inside the docker console to see if it can resolve to the correct ip address.

No proxy server running on my router that I’m aware of. I wouldn’t even know how to set that up on my Eero. I have a reverse proxy (swag) on my Unraid, but: 1) I just set that up yesterday, and 2) the Duplicacy app isn’t set to use it, anyway.

I clicked on the Duplicacy docker, selected Console, then installed and ran the dig command. Here’s what it returned:

/ # dig f004.backblazeb2.com

; <<>> DiG 9.18.11 <<>> f004.backblazeb2.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 19736
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
; OPT=65401: 24 ("$")
; OPT=65402: 34 (“4”)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;f004.backblazeb2.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
f004.backblazeb2.com. 30 IN A 192.168.7.1

;; Query time: 29 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.7.1#53(192.168.7.1) (UDP)
;; WHEN: Mon Feb 20 11:02:44 CST 2023
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 95

Fixed the problem! My router’s advanced/subscription features has something called Advanced Security which blocks access to ‘sites that host malicious content or viruses.’ This has always been turned on, but I tried turning it off: BAM, everything works fine.

I guess at some point Eero pegged Backblaze as a malicious site, whereas it worked fine before. Thanks to all for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.