Https://duplicacy.com/latest_cli_version reports previous version

Hi, i’m actually using the saspus:duplicacy-web:mini docker image and noted that while i’m on 1.7.2 for the web edition i’m still to the 3.1.0 for the cli. I set CLI version to Latest in Duplicacy Web.

Why the latest version, 3.2.3 is not automatically downloaded at startup?

I suppose that is because https://duplicacy.com/latest_cli_version still says {"latest":"3.1.0","stable":"2.7.2"}

Thanks!

1 Like

I think @gchen updates that url manually after a while following release to give time for latest to stabilize somewhat. Not as solidly as stable, but to a somewhat usable degree.

Perhaps Duplicacy needs additional channel, e.g. bleeding for people who are even less risk averse, to always return the bleeding edge?

On the other hand, you can download it manually and configure webui to use it. letting wide audience have a backup program automatically update to bleeding edge feels too reckless. Unstable backup is an oxymoron.

Well, this is my point, latest should be the latest released (not labeled as pre-release).

In case of a pre release one should be allowed to download it manually as you mentioned.

Going on after a new release has been released the one before could stay as Stable.

Otherwise there is not such a need to have latest and release in my opinion.

1 Like

Considering this is backup software, I like the conservative approach it adopted:

And I’m perfectly comfortable with the “latest” and “stable” labels:

latest = with the latest updates implemented
stable = approved by users for x amount of time

1 Like

But it’s not this way, correct? Latest is not the latest updates implemented actually…

Actually https://duplicacy.com/latest_cli_version does not return the actual latest.

1 Like

It is semantics. Depends what you consider to be the latest. Freshly built from the top of tree? It’s not latest, it’s bleeding edge, and should not be used in production, let alone automatically updated to.

Once this bleeding edge is somewhat vetted (see recently there were three releases one after another addressing some issues) it becomes latest. It has recent features and no obvious issues. You may want to consider testing it in your environment.

Stable is the one to use for most users. Unless you absolutely need features that are only present in latest. But even then I’d think twice.

Another conversation is whether there should be various trains — like LTS: stable + security fixes, latest + shorter support window, etc.

Perhaps it’s an overkill for a small utility.

Juts FYI on this, I am tricking at the moment the web version from saspus to use the very latest release from github by downloading it manually and renaming it to the latest version reported by https://duplicacy.com/latest_cli_version. Duplicacy-web does not check the integrity of the file for some reasons.

My main reason was for me to test Zstandard compression.

You don’t have to trick it — you can add a desired CLI version to duplicacy.json. CLI 2.2.0 has been released (impact on the Web GUI)

It was gui before, but got removed at some point.