List command to enumerate data in the reverse order

More recent data is more important and relevant than old data.

Why does duplciacy list enumerate revision starting from the oldest? To see few recent one one must endure through painful enumeration from the beginning of times… especially on high latency targets this is rather inconvenient.

The order has been reversed in the web GUI (on the restore page), but I think for the command line mode the increasing order is more appropriate because older revisions will be scrolled out and only the most recent ones will remain on the screen.

To give the user a choice of most likely revisions to restore, would it be faster to return only the x latest revisions over a slow connection?
In that case, a CLI list option to return a range of x latest revisions (-r -x or a variant) perhaps more useful than implementing sorting.

1 Like

That’s not really helping because it enumerates all revisions first and then shows them in whatever order. I wanted to save time — likely I don’t need a revision from the beginning of time; (it’s not special in any way: it’s just corresponds to the day the backup was started); I want one of the recent ones, often the most recent one (which is special — because it’s my last change). So with CLI I would ^C list operation once I see the interesting revision without waiting for full list to complete. Same should be possible in the gui; there is no point for me to wait for 7000 revisions to enumerate to show me the first one if I’m only interested in the last one.

The point being it’s more often than not people want one of the recent revisions so it must be fetched first. Unless there is a technical reason of why enumeration cannot start from the end.

That would be even better actually.

duplicacy list --last 10

Perfect.

There’s a similar discussion here for the check command:

The list command supports ranges already, but not yet relative to newest.
So if the concept of negative numbers for newest revisions was implemented we could have a range -r -10-0 to represent the 10 last revisions.
Not sure how to specify e.g. -20 to -10 :slight_smile: Double hyphen? -r -10–20

Then a script or GUI could quickly suggest the 10 newest, and user could request more older revisions if needed.

It looks like this -last option is what we have been looking for. duplicacy check -last 1 will check the latest revision.

2 Likes