Lost all settings after upgrading to web gui 1.1!

Because other chunks already existed in the storage.

but that’s my point. Those chunks should have existed as well (the ones uploaded) when I look through the file list. Those are files that were already uploaded before.

This is because of how Duplicacy packs and splits files into chunks. For incremental backups, only new or modified files are packed and then split into chunks. For a new backup that doesn’t have a previous revision, all files are packed and split, and this will cause some new chunks to be created. In your case only less than 1% of chunks were new chunks which is in fact a very good number and shows how effective the splitting algorithm is.

For more details please take a look at Chunk size details

4 Likes

Just wanted to chime in that the exact same issue happened to me. I had been running 1.0.0 with no issues for months. I saw that there was a new version and installed it, using default settings. Everything seemed to work without any problems so I thought all was good. It seems a few days later, I rebooted the system for an unrelated reason and the next time I checked Duplicacy, it was acting like it was a new install. After some information from this tread, I confirmed that I now had Duplicacy database both in my %programdata% folder and my user folder. When I had rebooted, the 1.1.0 version started as a service, looking for database in the %programdata% folder, instead of my user folder as it had been previously.

To get back up and running again, I completely uninstalled everything I could find with Duplicacy (btw, the WIndows service didn’t remove itself during the uninstall) and then installed the 1.1.0 application again choosing the option that did not involve running as a service (can’t remember the exact option but it was like run under user or something). Afterwards, I started Duplicacy and everything was back to normal and running fine.

Basically, the issue comes down to having different database storage locations based on whether or not you install the application as a service or to run under a user and when coming from 1.0.0 to 1.1.0, the installer doesn’t know what you had already set up previously.

If this is so, @gchen, wouldn’t it be a good idea for duplicacy to check for settings in all possible places and inform the user if it finds something in a different location than where the user currently intends to install?

Kind of dumb question, but I dont want to risk messing anything up after a 2 week long re-upload of my entire NAS.

Somehow Duplicacy is set to run as the logged in user, how do I switch it to run as a service? If I do so will it lose settings again?

This is what I did on my brother’s PC…

Right-click the Duplicacy icon tray and Quit. Then uninstall Duplicacy Web Edition. You won’t lose settings.

To re-install Duplicacy Web Edition v1.1, make sure to right-click the installer and ‘Run as administrator’, choose ‘Install for anyone using this computer’ and, right as the end, choose to install as a service.

Here you may have to stop the running Duplicacy service before moving your old settings across (open Task Manager > Services tab, or open Services -> stop the service).

Move, or better yet, copy the C:\Users\<user>\.duplicacy-web directory into C:\ProgramData\.duplicacy-web - overwriting the files there. (You may have to show hidden files or you can just type %programdata% into the Windows Explorer address bar to get there.)

Start the Duplicacy service. There’ll be no icon tray, but you can open http://127.0.0.1:3875/ in a browser. You may have to enter your encryption password.

Thinking about it, you can probably do the steps in reverse - i.e. copy the .duplicacy-web to C:\ProgramData before re-installing. It’d likely pick up the settings without you having to faff around with stopping/starting the service.

2 Likes