My first night with Duplicacy

Tonight is my first night using Duplicacy. I’m late coming from Crashplan having run on the business version until they decided they would start deciding what they want to backup (!?)…

I have tested Arq, Cloudberry, Duplicati, Backblaze, and probably a few others for S3 (Wasabi) storage.

My initial thoughts and frustrations are with the Web GUI backup job list. It’s HUGE and needs to be scaled down, especially since it seems we cannot select more than one directory for each of the backups (I know of the sym link hack). A form of compact list would be nice with spindown arrows to expand with more info if needed and a smaller summary view when collapsed.

No way to EDIT a backup? This was one of the more frustrating things when testing as I had a lot of work to do redoing things over and over, perhaps this is less important since each is a single directory…

1 Like

OK, I think I get the design difference here, playing around with filter includes/excludes, so doing a C drive backup and a D drive backup and selecting what I want in each drive via that seems like it’d work out OK…

1 Like

Please also see this: Filters Include/Exclude, Could it be implemented to a "tick" folder instead?

Thanks for that info, good to see some usability being applied to filters, will help with adoption by those coming on-board I think and doesn’t sacrifice the flexibility! I’m close to purchasing I think, just doing a bunch more tests and pondering the backup strategies, ie: static items in one job, more dynamic things in another, all in one or… With the ability to run jobs concurrently it’s nice not having to wait for a huge job to finish to shoot off a quick update on another job…

One thing I did note is that there doesn’t seem to be a way to select multiple files from a directory in the WebUI, unless I’m missing something. I can restore the entire directory or an individual file but not multiple files from a directory or multiple directories. I suppose some of this may come with the above filtering changes, allowing users to check off directories and file, but thought it was worth mentioning if nothing else to find out if there is some other method to do this that I’m not aware of…

2 Likes