Pruning while other clients are backing up to the same storage

Hey all,

I’m planning a new duplicacy deployment and I’m a little confused about the behavior of prune with multiple clients. I’m planning to have ~5 clients backing up to the same storage on a NAS, but it’s not clear from forum posts or the docs on whether it can cause issues for a client to prune -all if it happens to occur when another client is backing up.

I can attempt to stagger them but obviously it’s impossible to guarantee that jobs won’t happen simultaneously on occasion.

If this could be a problem, how would you suggest I work around it safely?

Thanks!

Duplicacy is fully concurrent, it is designed for this usecase, and will work just fine (as long as you don’t use -exclusive flag).

Thanks! So just to confirm, it’s safe to prune while another client is backing up but unsafe for two clients to prune at the same time?

Both are fine to do concurrently.

Have a look at this paper if you want details on how it works: Duplicacy paper accepted by IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing

If possible, I would avoid -exhaustive in concurrent situations as well, even non-exclusive. Exhaustive prune may fossilize chunks that were just uploaded (but were not made a part of a snapshot yet). In theory this shouldn’t be an issue as later operations should de-fossilize these chunks, but I am not sure how well this scenario has been tested considering this is a bit of an edge case.