RSA Encryption use case

If you are the only user and not in a multi-user backup environment is there any real benefit of using the RSA encryption over just using the storage password? Isn’t the storage encrypted already by using the storage password?

RSA encryption adds another level of protection. Even if a hacker gets your storage password they still can’t access your files by running a restore.

I haven’t dug into the source code yet. Do I understand correctly that the storage password does encrypt the contents of files? And then the RSA crypto encrypts them again?

Anybody? Woo woo 20 chars

This guide explains how the storage is encrypted, and this guide explains the RSA implementation.

This guide explains how the storage is encrypted, and this guide explains the RSA implementation.

Sorry, I must be dumb. I leafed through the links you provided but couldn’t come to simple answer to pugglewuggle 's question: " Do I understand correctly that the storage password does encrypt the contents of files?"

Does the storage password encrypt the contents of backup files?

Example, when creating a new storage in Duplicacy:

If:

1. I enter a password
  2. AND NOT enable “RSA Encryption”

Then, are my backups encrypted?

Yes, with random keys, protected by your password:

Edit: clarity and accuracy

1 Like

Apologies for necro-ing this thread. I have a follow-up question.

Let’s say my house burns down, and my local machine and all of its data, including those 4 randomly generated keys, are lost.

Will just my storage password be enough to decrypt those files again? Similarly, if I use both a password and RSA, will the storage password and RSA key be ALL I need to decrypt those files in the future? Thanks!

No no, that’s good — one topic, one thread :slight_smile:

Four?

You have a password, private key and public key. Which one is the fourth?

If just the password encryption is used, no rsa — then yes.

Yes. You shall also somehow ensure you have access to the storage.

Password manager is the great way to keep all these secrets replicated to a bunch of cloud providers.