Shadow copy creation failed: DoSnapshotSet didn't finish properly

If you run Duplicacy as normal users, it will load settings from HKCU/Software/Duplicacy.

If you run Duplicacy as administrator or as service, it will load settings from HKLM/Software/Duplicacy.

So if you see empty settings, it is perhaps a matter of which account you’re running Duplicacy as.

I am also getting this error Shadow copy creation failed: DoSnapshotSet didn't finish properly. I solved it by downloading the CLI version 2.0.10, renaming it to 2.0.9 and copying it over the 2.0.9 on my machine. It worked!

As an aside: since I am running the GUI, I learned from this that the GUI does actually use the same exe-file as the CLI, is that correct? (Not so surprising, but I’m still exploring duplicacy and wasn’t sure how exactly the two versions relate to each other…)

But I noticed that creation of the shadow copy consumed quite some time even though I believe that none of the files in the repository were currently in use/locked.So I was wondering whether it wouldn’t make sense to trigger the creation of the shadow copy only when duplicacy encounters an access problem?

EDIT: Well, it worked the first time but the second time I got the error back. This time stating that VssAsync is pending for more than 180 seconds

The timeout for the DoSnapshotSet operation is 180 seconds (in duplicacy_shadowcopy_windows.go):

if !async.Wait(180) {
		LOG_ERROR("VSS_SNAPSHOT", "Shadow copy creation failed: DoSnapshotSet didn't finish properly")
		return top
	}
	async.Release()

You can modify this timeout if you know how to build from the source. It was increased to 180 seconds in 2.0.10 from 60 seconds in 2.0.9 and that is why 2.0.10 works better.

1 Like