How does the -comment option work?

What is the comment global option supposed to do? It says that it’s purpose is

Now, to start with, it seems that the documentation is not 100% correct:

Shouldn’t it be comment <argument>? Because if I try duplicacy -commend check I get Incorrect usage but if I give it an argument, like so: duplicacy -comment test check, the command executes. However, I can't see any effect sof the-comment option` when I look at the Task Manager. All duplicacy processes still look the same…

it is used as a marker when running ps ax | grep duplicacy:

You may have multiple duplicacy backups running at the same time, and you may want to give them different names so that you can address easily each repository/backup/whatever you have running.

This (poorly named?) options is used for exactly that.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I thought. And perhaps it works with ps ax | grep duplicacy on linux but the comment doesn’t show up in Windows Task Manager. Is it supposed to?

Well, yes, maybe I’d have called it label rather than comment, but nevermind.

in task manager, under processes, there’s a column named “command line” which shows all the arguments that started a program.

YES!

Okay, thanks for pointing that out, I would have expected the comment to show up in the description column in the Details tab. This column is visible by default so if duplicacy has control over what it says in the description, I think that is where the comment should show up.

Description is used for the name of the program. In order for duplicacy to show that -comment there, it should “relaunch” itself with the new name? (the exe remains “duplicacy.exe” , it should just have a different “productName” or something like that)

later edit: it seems this is a bit difficult to do. see (not for golang):

1 Like

Right, -label would be a better name for this option, or -process-label.

1 Like

-process-label!

-label! Shorter is better!

disagree here. just -label is too ambiguous, even more so since there is -tag.

How would that ambiguity be a problem? Whoever uses the option knows what it does based on the manual. The question is not whether people understand the command when they see it but whether they remember it when they want to use it, and that’s where simplicity is king.

Simplicity… IMHO means - “self-documenting” not “the fewest characters” :slight_smile: That is how I see it… just my opinion of course. So if I had any sort of say… I would go with process-label obviously :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for expressing into words what i cannot. :dumb:

1 Like

Not that this is very important, but for the sake of the argument:

I would agree if -process-label was indeed fully self-documenting, but I doubt very much that it is. That’s why I said

Users will always have to look it up, which means it’s not self-documenting and if you can’t make it self-documenting, simplicty (not fewest characters, btw) rules.

Interesting position @Christoph. Thanks for your comments.