Prune data, remote storage is full

So. Euhm. Yeah. I forgot to prune.
My remote storage is 100% full.

I have tried to run the prune-command, but no storage free’s up.

I read this in the wiki: Prune command details

“For fossils collected in the fossil collection step to be eligible for safe deletion in the fossil deletion step, at least one new snapshot from each snapshot id must be created between two runs of the prune command.”

So what does this in fact mean? Can’t “fossils” be deleted until I have made new backups/snapshots?
Guess I’m out of luck then since the remote space is full?

The prune command removed like 50% of the snapshots/revisions, so there should be a lot of free space, but the disk is still 100%.

I have tried both -exhaustive -exclusive, but still no luck.

How come no space is freed up?

Bonus question: Is there no command in duplicacy command line to show how much remote space the backup set is using?

What you could try is run: duplicacy -d -log prune -exclusive -exhaustive.
But when you do this you must assure that no other backup/copy/anything is running to the same storage or else you will have data loss!

Out of curiosity: what storage are you using, which is out of space?

1 Like

I’m running my own SFTP at a remote location :slight_smile:
I kept running various combinations of the purge and finally some space freed up.

But I’m still confused about the storage used.

I have 2 backup sets.
A = 200GB and B = 400GB
Both are accumulative, i.e no files are removed at source.

This makes me so confused, since a full backup should be something like 200 + 400 = 600 GB, right?
With dedup & incremental backups, I don’t see how every “revision” should take up 600 GB, or even close to 600GB, right?

But now, even after extensive runs of prune, I have:
A: 8 revisions
B: 6 revisions

Total storage used at remote backup site: 2,8 TB!
How the /¤"()/(¤)/()"#¤/ can 600GB data, which only have grown, no deletions, take up almost 5x remote storage space?!

have you moved around or renamed a lot of files?

try running
duplicacy -d check -tabular -all
and paste the whole output here

That might be it! I move around and rename a lot of files! I will read through the github issue and see if that can clarify things for me.

Also… If storages don’t check in for 7 days the fossils will get deleted then. I have the GUI and prune daily. I’ve noticed if my laptop doesn’t check in for 7 days it will delete the fossils and be excluded until it checks in again. Let us know how things look after a week has passed.