How does Duplicacy compare to Arq and qBackup?

Can you outline advantages if your software over Arq and qBackup: qBackup - Cloud Backup Software?

Thanks

1 Like

Our biggest advantage over Arq, or any other backup software, is the ability to take advantage of cross-computer deduplication. If you have many computers sharing a similar set of files (such as a large code base) then with Duplicacy these computers can back up to the same storage folder – deduplication occurs across computers. With Arq you’ll have to use a separate storage folder for each computer.

Duplicacy also supports more cloud storages than Arq, the most notable being Backblaze B2.
[Edit 04/28/2019: Arq does support B2 now.]

qBackup seems to be quite primitive at this moment and lacks many features (for instance, no built-in scheduler). They don’t provide any documentation on how their deduplication works so I can’t comment on this aspect.

1 Like

Thanks. I just ran a test with Duplicacy, and while the backup was indexing the drive, I was seeing hundreds of these messages.

14:51:10.887 Failed to read the symlink: The system cannot find the file specified.

1 Like

Is this on Windows? Can you run Duplicacy as administrator to see if this is a permission issue.

Unfortunately this log message doesn’t include the file path. I’ll fix it in the next update.

1 Like

Yes, on Windows 2012 R2 and running as Admin. But, I’m also using Windows native dedup at the drive level so wondering if something odd is happening there.

1 Like

I see. Each deduped file is actually a reparse point, but Duplicacy can only handle reparse points that are a symlink or a mount point. For others it returns ENOENT.

I think the solution is to treat dedup reparse points as if they are regular files. I’ll fix it.

2 Likes

Thanks. BTW - if you install and text qBackup, I think you’ll find the interface to be slicker than Duplicacy. And there can be multiple jobs. Schedule is done via command line and task scheduler so seems to work fine. I don’t work for this company, but I’ve been testing it and others.

R

1 Like

Version 1.2.1 fixed this deduplication reparse point issue.

As for our GUI, we have a different design rationale – we wanted to have a simple configuration page that does most basic things. For advanced users there is a CLI version that is more powerful and more flexible.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: How Duplicacy compares to other backup solutions

I trialed both Arq & Duplicacy. The biggest difference I see is:

• arq has a much nicer GUI
  • duplicacy has wildly faster backups

Ok, let’s open this can of worms:

Arq.

• Massive amount of UI bugs. Moving around windows causes reproducible UI corruption. Reported to Arq a year ago with screencasts and repro steps. Still not fixed.
  • Adding even one regex drastically increases scan time. 700k files takes days to scan. Reported to Arq a year ago. Still not fixed. They recommended using folder exclusions in the tree, which is not sustainable.
  • Without regex the scan time is still very long. They offered test case of 1 million files (1000 folders with 1000 files each ) that in their tests takes under 2 min to scan. On all my Macs scan took 4 DAYS. yes. DAYS. Reported to Arq 8 month ago. Got response “I’m working on making it faster.” Nothing changed by today.
  • Searching for a file. CPU usage 100% for 10+ minutes, after which I give up. Crashplan (Even Crashplan!) accomplishes the same search in 2 min. Lookin at spindump the software keeps repeatedly reallocating small amounts of memory. That’s what takes 99% of CPU. Who designed that? Are they aware of profilers? Blows my mind.
  • That thing costs $50. And I could not even make it work. Pathetic.I kept quiet for a year - giving them a chance to fix it. but the same bugs are still there. I’d stay away. If they can’t fix user-facing issues, how can I trust them not to mess up my backup?

Sorry for harshness, even thinking about this $50 piece of turd makes me mad.

Now qQbackup:

Nice clean UI, but:

• only supports incremental backups. Hence long chain susceptible to corruption
  • Does not support VSS. So unusable for all practical purposes on Windows
3 Likes

Yes, Duplicacy is absolutely the best (I have also tested many including Arq).

But, Duplicacy needs a better GUI (yes, I purchased it).

1 Like

This is not true. Arq has supported Backblaze for quite awhile now. I believe just before, and hence after, Backblaze toasted all their personal plan users. I personally use the SFTP option, but the third option down is Backblaze. For reference, here is a list of all destinations supported by the current version of Arq:

2 Likes

Not sure if you realized, but you’re replying to a 2 year old post.

1 Like

Just wanted to set the record straight.

Arq’s support for B2 was added after the original post was written. I’ve edited the post to cross out that line.

2 Likes

Have you tried the web ui?

1 Like

Yes, I have tried the web UI, and purchased subscriptions. But it still needs a lot of improvements.