Adding a new second computer backup to an existing storage?

Yes, this all really tells me I shouldn’t use the same storage for multiple copmputers. I’m just too much of a regular user who isn’t going to notice if backups stop because of an automatic update… and that just seems nuts to me. I’ll run every computer independently to avoid that kind of issue.
I’ve complained about the lack of built in failure notice already:

Thanks for the help everyone!

The service like https://healthchecks.io/ helps here. You setup a url that duplicacy calls at the end of successful backup. And configure the service to send you a notification if it did not receive that callback at the expected intervals.

This way you will get notified if backup did not succeed regardless of the reason—failed in the middle or never started— no notification about success → notification (email/SMS/WhatsApp/whathaveyou) gets sent to you.

Ideally, similar service shall be hosted by duplicacy to avoid having user configure it with third parties, as part of the duplicacy_web value proposition, among other things.

I don’t think you understood what I said. Under no circumstances should backup jobs suddenly stop because of an auto update and mismatch between client versions. Clients have their own, separate, snapshot IDs. They stopped for you because your client got interactively downgraded.

In my case, backups continued to work just fine - and even copy jobs continued to work (albeit copied the snapshot without the version bit). This was corrected since v3.1.0 assumes no bit = try both formats.

Since v3.1.0, snapshot formats have a version bit now.

Healthchecks is a piece of piss to set up, and will cover a lot more failure modes as saspus points out.

This is a great point: during backup of a specific snapshot duplicacy only needs to be able to unpack data created as part of backups of this specific snapshot, and so if you never downgrade the version that makes that specific snapshot it shall never fail, regarding of what others are doing.

Restoring, on the other hand, can be a different story, although likely will still work, unless pruning and copy schedules overlap in some specific way.