Advice on pruning backups done iregularly

Hi there,

I’m looking at setting up an appropriate retention policy. I am aware of the default retention policy, the following. But what does it mean?

Am I right that it says delete snapshots that older than 5 years, but what does the keep 1 snapshot every 7 days mean? Is it so that if I do a load of backups quite often, say every day, then if a backup is older than a month then only keep weekly backups i.e. delete backups that done every day except backups done between a week?

The only thing is that I back up whenever I can, not on a fixed cycle, as the backups are done to external hard drives that I keep offline.

Many thanks for your help.

Heres my understanding of how pruning rules are. Pruning is mainly to keep the backup size under control (because duplicacy keeps versions of backups, meaning if you change a file name and want to restore it you can see both the new file name and the older file name in a older backup.) in the first box keeping a snapshot ever X amount of days older than Y days is like this. Lets say you did a backup every day for the last month and you chose to keep 1 snapshot every 7 days older than 10 days. After 10 days you would have one snapshot every week until one month, so you would have days 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,17,24.

Yes the big box on the top just deletes anything older than the preset date (in this case 5 years).

Hope that helps, or even made any sense.