[RESOLVED] After every reboot, Duplicacy says to "Please enter the password to encrypt/decrypt the passwords/credentials stored in the configuration file."

After each reboot, Duplicacy won’t start backing up until I go to http://localhost:3875/dashboard and enter the password to decrypt the password/credentials. See screenshot below. It’s annoying to have to remember to do this after each reboot. I worry I will forget and then backups won’t run.

As you can see from the screenshot, the “Store this password in Keyring/KeyChain” is checked but it doesn’t seem to be working.

I have Duplicacy set to start on boot using my local crontab:
@reboot /home/jed/bin/duplicacy_web_linux_x64_1.7.2 -background

I’m running Fedora 39 KDE Plasma v5.27.10 with Kernel v6.6.9-200

Any suggestions for how to fix this?

20240106_113542_Screenshot

Duplicacy can read that password from the keyring or an environment variable;

Another topic: Locked out of WebUI - #7 by gchen

The reasoning: Why is there a Master Password? - #2 by gchen

Here is another option: Synology Docker saspus container - keychain & website access - #2 by gchen

Setting DWE_PASSWORD env variable at the top of my crontab seemed to fix the issue. I’m still curious why the “Store this password in Keyring/KeyChain” isn’t working, but at least this workaround fixes the issue for me. Thanks!

There should be something in the duplicacy_web.log. Maybe dbus is not configured properly, or keyring is not available to the user Duplicacy is running as, or it’s locked.

Thanks for the tip. Way back in October I see an error:
2023/10/30 22:18:16 Failed to store the value to the keyring: keyring/dbus: CreateItem error: Object does not exist at path “/org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/login”

Some googling led me to add my DE to /usr/share/xdg-desktop-portal/portals/gnome-keyring.portal in the UseIn key, separated by semicolons. That seems to have fixed it without me needing to hardcode the password into my crontab.

Thanks!

1 Like

Awesome!

Feel free to mark your comment above as a solution (there should be a button, looks like a checkbox) — it will appear next to the question for the benefit of the folks who stumble on this in the future. I can imagine this could be a rather common issue.

Doh, I was wrong, it’s not fixed. That caused Duplicacy to start throwing this error on restart
Failed to decrypt the testing data using the supplied password: cipher: message authentication failed

I’ll have to go back to the crontab env variable workaround.

Is that the only error?

Perhaps it only writes to keychain once the first time, when the password is set, but since it failed, it now contains empty password — hence can’t decrypt when trying to use it.

Wondering if it would be worth it to setup “from scratch” (rename the config file, so it will have to ask to set the password and perhaps successfully record it to keychain this time, then rename it back )

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.