Back 3 Pcs to Unraid then use Duplicacy to Backup on OneDrive

HI Guys
Is it ok and within the spirit to Backup 2 Pcs & a Laptop to my Unraid server and then use Duplicacy to save these images to OneDrive?
This is not for any business just household Pc’s

Hi there,

No, that would be counterproductive, waste a lot of space and traffic, and be a nightmare when you need to restore specific version of a specific file.

Instead, run duplicacy on each of your PCs to backup user data to your NAS, to the same storage, to take advantage of cross-machine deduplication.

Then, run another instance of duplicacy on your nas to replicate (duplicacy copy) all or some backups offsite, e.g. to your one drive repository.

Now each machine can restore any file they need directly, and if your nas burns in flames it would be trivial to point clients to the OneDrive repository and restore from there directly.

One drive repository should be “copy compatible” — see add command description.

Alternatively you can have each client backup to both, your nas, and one drive, at the same time. This would be useful for laptops that can roam and not necessarily be within nases reach. This also absolves you from running general purpose software on your nas, and having to keep encryption keys to your backup to do copy, leaving NAS doing what it’s best at, storage.

1 Like

HI
Does this involve buying a licence for each PC?
So i would need 4 all together ?

It depends. Command line version is free for personal use. WebGUI costs regardless of use.

I’d argue that the command line version is all you need — you can use your OSes scheduler to setup periodic backup (Task Scheduler on Windows, launchd on macOS, whatever is native on your NAS)

If you want web UI — then yes, you would need to license each host.

Cheers do you know any good video or written tutorial to show how to achieve this. Only know the very basics on cli due to being a Windows guy. But would like to learn. I like the idea of doing the latter backing up to both Unraid and OneDrive

I’m not big on video tutorials or windows, but you can have a look at the work of a fellow user here: Duplicacy - First backup video tutorial. He has many more posted on the forum.

What I’d recommend instead –

1. Read quick start guide here: Duplicacy quick-start (CLI)
  2. And help pages for each command here: Duplicacy User Guide as needed
  3. Download the binary and run it without arguments. You’ll get help. Then run it with the argument you want – like, init, you’ll get more help about that specific command. That way, iteratively, you will quickly discover how to use it. The UI is well thought out and logical, it will be a very shallow and short learning curve.

For how to configure windows scheduler – that should be in Windows documentation; but everything there is also discoverable – launch it, create a new task, and read through options.

By the time the tutorial video would have ended you would be already doing your first backup :slight_smile:

So just going through the whole process i have a share backup folder for each Pc on my Unraid Server.
I will create a root folder on an alternative drive on each PC called imagebackup.
But the laptop on had 1 SSD so i cannot create an image to same drive so this may have to backup directly to Unraid so this will only need to back up to OneDrive. Not sure how i would do a backup with Duplicacy from laptop to Onedrive when the image is on Unraid! Or do i just do it from Unraid?
Use Macruim Free to do a image backup monthly then the day after get Duplicacy to run backing up to Unraid & OneDrive weekly i guess is ok ?
So this would have each Pc running Dup through CLI backing up to both locations.
But would i also not need to run from Unraid to back that up as well?
Does that sound right or am i missing something?

I have got local backup to work i think :slight_smile: but the connection to OneDrive is not going that good

Also on my Unraid i have setup in Docker the WebGUI which is on trial how do I trasfer from Web to CLI?