Backup Failing: ERROR SNAPSHOT_PARSE

Running Linux with latest 1.2.1 downloaded from the website backing up to Google Drive. scheduled or manual running of a backup of my /home directory fails. It doesn’t seem to be happening for any other folders I’m backing up.

When I click “Failed” in the web-ui, this is the log I get (lightly redacted):

Running backup command from /opt/duplicacy-web/.duplicacy-web/repositories/localhost/1 to back up /home
Options: [-log backup -storage Google-Drive -stats]
2020-02-19 22:34:41.291 INFO REPOSITORY_SET Repository set to /home
2020-02-19 22:34:41.291 INFO STORAGE_SET Storage set to gcd://X
2020-02-19 22:35:04.698 ERROR SNAPSHOT_PARSE Failed to load files specified in the snapshot X-Home at revision 4056: Content is not specified for file 'user/some_file' in the snapshot
Failed to load files specified in the snapshot X-Home at revision 4056: Content is not specified for file user/some_file' in the snapshot

I’ve checked and the file appears to exist, is not corrupted and has the same permissions as hundreds of other files in the same folder. Removing the file (it’s a build artifact that I don’t really care about) doesn’t help either. I’ve restarted the process to make sure it wasn’t weirdly stuck or anything.

Anything else I can try? Any other logs to attach?

This is a bug: the content of a file should be empty if the file size isn’t zero. I need to figure out under what condition this can happen.

To fix it, you can manually remove the file snapshots/X-Home/4056 in the storage (I assume it is the latest revision), then run a prune job with -exhaustive to remove chunks only referenced by this revision.

1 Like

I’m not sure how it happened, and going back over the logs doesn’t show anything useful, it just started happening after backups were going fine. About when it happened, Google Drive was experiencing some serious slowness, maybe that contributed?

For the fix, is that something I can do through the web version, or will I need to use the CLI to fix it?

Thanks, by the way, for having a great product. I just renewed my licenses, and appreciate the work you’re doing on this @gchen.

1 Like