Backup with VSS failing

I just installed Duplicacy on a new computer while logged in as an administrator. After setting up the backup and include the -VSS flag, it fails almost instantly. The log shows the below:

Running backup command from C:\Users\New User/.duplicacy-web/repositories/localhost/0 to back up C:/
Options: [-log backup -storage GDrive -threads 4 -vss -stats]
2021-10-09 14:55:55.505 INFO REPOSITORY_SET Repository set to C:/
2021-10-09 14:55:55.506 INFO STORAGE_SET Storage set to gcd://Duplicacy Backups/
2021-10-09 14:55:58.431 INFO BACKUP_START No previous backup found
2021-10-09 14:55:58.434 INFO VSS_CREATE Creating a shadow copy for C:\
2021-10-09 14:55:58.436 ERROR VSS_CREATE Only administrators can create shadow copies
Only administrators can create shadow copies

What am I doing wrong?

Also, I noticed that on one of my computers, I have a Duplicacy Web Edition service that is installed and running. On others, I do not. Why?

Installer asks how do you want to install it — for all users or for current user, or something along those lines. In the former case it is installed as a service, and in the latter — not.

To use VSS the app needs to run with elevated permissions. Administrator user_can_ get them, but does not automatically, other users don’t. When it is installed as a service is it configured to run under system account which can.

If you uninstall it and reinstall it “for all users” vss will start working. Or you can launch it from elevated prompt, or modify the shortcut to do that (not sure if it is still possible in current windows)

1 Like

I did as you instructed by uninstalling and re-installing as admin. At the end I was prompted to install the service which I also did. I then had to copy the .duplicacy-web folder from the user profile folder to C:\ProgramData.duplicacy-web. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.