Best way to store backups in a synology nas

Hi,

What is the fastest and more secure way to use a synology nas to store backups? I don’t think that NFS is a good option. Maybe rsync, but I’ve never used it in a synology nas…

What are your experiences? Is there any way to get R/O backups to a synology nas?

Best regards

SFTP will work.

Whether it’s “best” will depend on your scenario and requirements, such as whether you need access to your backups from outside of your network, and other factors, such as those that led you do reject nfs.

Duplicacy does not support rsync transport.

Yes. Synology supports ACLs. Better approach however is to configure periodic filesystem snapshots.

I’m doing backup to wasabi and trying to lower montly bills… My NAS would be internal to our infrastructure, so we don’t need anything fancy here.

I’ll give sftp a try. Is this the fastest way to do the backups?

The snapshots are a good point to get backups that are not easy to destroy if a machine gets hacked. Thanks!!

Best regards.

It’s not the fastest, but it’s the easiest to configure. Note, however, Synology’s SFTP server is highly modified and behaves in an nonstandard and obnoxious way: Chunk uploading error with Synology - #2 by gchen

The workaround that seems to work is to use absolute paths in the URL: Uploaded file but failed to store EOF - #44 by saspus

i.e. instead of

sftp://synology.local/backups/duplicacy

use

sftp://synology.local//backups/duplicacy