Can I rename a backup?

So, I derped, and I now have two 2tb volumes which are named wrong in my backup scheme. Is it possible for me to rename the existing backups, or will I have to start over from scratch and wait for them to copy all over again?

Unfortunately, you can’t rename a backup but if you re-add the repository with a new name and do your initial backup to the same storage, most of the chunks will merely be skipped. It’ll just take a bit longer (similar to if you ran another backup with -hash).

Once you’ve complete the first backup, it’s then safe to prune the old one.

3 Likes

Sorry to bring this old post up. I also messed up with my naming. I’m using webgui. I see pruning is related to deleting old backup using retention policy.

From fresh install on my synology nas, I did a backup with wrong id name > I deleted the backup > Created a new backup with correct id name > Ran the backup.

Now using webgui, how can I delete the old revision with the wrong id name?

I don’t believe you can with the GUI, but you can simply delete the old backup ID on the Synology - look for the snapshots\<snapshot-id> directory and delete it. Then you can run prune -exhaustive in the GUI to mark the extraneous chunks and they’ll disappear after a new round of backups+normal prune.

I can’t find that folder.
Also, the ‘DuplicacyWebEdition’ folder is not visible on my File Station (file explorer for Synology) so I have no idea how to access it.

The snapshot folder was not on my Synology. It was at the backup destination on my Google Drive. I deleted the snapshot folder and ran the prune command. It removed the revision from the total number of revisions (before it was 2 but now 1). So all is good here.

But my dashboard graph still shows the old backup id point. How do I remove this?

I believe this may help you.

1 Like