Can't find a folder/share

I’m at a loss with this. I have Duplicacy spun up on my unraid server. Urbackup is running as well and my main win10 desktop is backing up to the server fine. Duplicacy does see the desktop’s folder and I have that configured to backup to backblaze.

However, I also have a Time Machine container running on same server that two macOS devices see and happily backup to a share the container created on install. Duplicacy will NOT see this folder. Goal is to have this also back up to B2. It sounds like permissions issue, but I cannot seem to find the correct path to resolve this. If I can get this working I intend on backing up other folders in other locations on the same server to B2 but so far those folders aren’t “seen” by Duplicacy either.

I can only embed one image apparently, so here is the Duplicacy view of that directory. And the Time Machine folder is /mnt/user/timemachine/

Don’t backup Time Machine bundles to B2. There is no easy way to make this work reliably; you will likely end up with corrupted unusable bundle. You would need to ensure that backup is not running and the bundle is unmounted (how would you know that?) or rig samba to create a snapshot of the volume Time Machine is hosted on when client disconnects (iXSystems did that, I don’t think Unraid did) and then backup that snapshot with duplicacy. But this will be highly counterproductive still: Time Machine is encrypted and therefore non-compressible and non-de duplicatable.

Instead, backup [user data from] your Macs directly to backblaze.

It does. User that duplicacy is running under shall be granted access to the Time Machine data; there may be difference in how permissions are configured, e.g. ACLs vs unix permissions. I don’t know how unraid manages this, hope someone else will chime in.

I’m here just to warn against backing up the Time Machine bundles :slight_smile:

That is great info. I had no idea. I love the simplicity of not only backing it up elsewhere but ease of restoring. I will look at implementing client side backup for valuable data and leave TM as is.

I do hope to figure out this permissions issue as there are several other apps I’m either already self-hosting or will be and having that data backed up is critical.

Well, I did get another folder to show up in the WebGUI and created a new backup set for it. I had to add a new path variable in the docker compose edit window in unRAID. It shows up, but confirmed my suspicion of permissions issue when trying to back up said folder: “permission denied”

What’s strange is during the creation of this variable it specifically asks what permissions you want to give it and I chose ‘read/write’. I must be missing something else.