Check the total storage size of each revision of a repository

Is there an easy way to find the total storage size (at the backend/cloud storage) used up by each revision of a given repository? I’ve seen some examples where the “check” command on a repo prints such stats. Is that the recommended way? Or is there a “less expensive” way of achieving this?

The background is: one of my repos is mostly pictures and videos, and I only keep uploading new pics/videos to it (i.e., no deletions or modifications). I was wondering how much the backend storage would increase by if I upload say every day or every N days in a week. It seems that storage for each revision would roughly depend on the number of files, and each new revision would just be more pointers into existing data chunk files. Is this assumption correct? (I understand the availability of the prune option, and eventually I’d set it up to prune, but understanding the storage scaling would guide me in pruning policy).

Thanks.

Yep, you got that right!

The -tabular option of the check command is very useful for this, it’s very “visual”.

1 Like