Checking Local Size before Backup

Is it possible to check the size of the local backup to best judge backup media size? I know I can test with DU, but I would presume with the dedupe of Duplicacy, this won’t be fully accurate.

Any thoughts here? Trying to choose the right storage for this one.

Do you have a lot of redundant data? The du will give you a ballpark, add 30-50% for versioning and future expansion. You can always add/remove storage, no?

This back up will be primarily pro photos, so there might be some redundancy. Though hopefully not too many diff versions. Sitting on around 8TB ish with DU.

Photos, including modern RAW are from poorly- to non-compressible, and being media – unless you actually have a copy of the file somewhere - non-deduplicatable. On the other hand, they are also immutable (if your raw file changed – it’s a result of corruption, thats what versioned backup is supposed to rectify), so versioning takes effectively no space. I would start with 10TB, to account for further expansion.

Is there a reason you have to make this decision now? i.e. why not start backup and keep adding storage as needed, to keep healthy headroom?

This is for a client, so I am working on pre-planning storage based on what they are paying for.