Continual timeouts when running "check" on SMB shared storage

Hello everyone,

Is there a way to lengthen the timeout delay on check? I have a direct attached storage location that completes check perfectly, however a shared drive (gigabit local SFP share) times out each time I try and run check. Sometimes it times out while attempting to backup.

The log I am getting from web-ui is:

Options: [-log check -storage macOS-server-r710 -a -tabular]
2021-02-14 09:47:07.293 INFO STORAGE_SET Storage set to /Volumes/16TB Backup/Duplicacy
2021-02-14 09:47:07.320 INFO SNAPSHOT_CHECK Listing all chunks
2021-02-14 10:26:05.164 ERROR LIST_FILES Failed to list the directory chunks/ee/: readdirent: operation timed out
Failed to list the directory chunks/ee/: readdirent: operation timed out

Is there a way to increase verbosity, or lengthen the time out period? I have verified that the storage is healthy.

Thanks!

I don’t think the timeout is an issue — in the lan there should be very low latency. Timeout is a symptom, not the cause.

I would rule out Mac side issues — grab spindump and see what is it waiting for; and then check the server. Which SMB version are you using? What is the server? Samba or windows? If windows — windows server or workstation/pro/home?

Perhaps it advertises extensions that are not properly supported? Try NFS to separate out storage and network issues from that of samba. Switch to AFP, see if this works any better. This will give you some data points.

I’ve tried an OMV SMB share, and a macOS SMB share. The shared drive is formatted HFS+, but that shouldn’t overly matter.

It looked like @carlos got it running over AFP in the other thread on this issue.

I’m going to try that and see if it works as an interim measure. I’ll try NFS too, but unfortunately the write speeds for NFS are garbage over NFS.

Is there a way to get the GUI more verbose other than just -v in the global options area during a check job? I’ll run spindump, timing might be tough with the intermittent nature of the failure though.

You can enter -d as the global option to print out debug level log messages.

For the next CLI release I’ll add a retry mechanism to the file storage if it is a network share.

1 Like

It is not fast over AFP but it didn’t fail.

Running check with -v, -v and -d, failed silently other than listing the timeout error over SMB.