Copy Compatible Storages - Combing Two Storages Into One

Hi all,

I’ve been a duplicacy web user for a while now and have a basic understanding of how to use the CLI but I can not figure out how to solve this problem.

What I want to do is combine two existing storages into one new storage. As follows:

Current Setup

• Storage 1 (no e-coding; encrypted with password x; stored on Server A): backup of computers 1 & 2
  • Storage 2 (e-coding; encrypted with password y; stored on Server B): backup of computer 3 & computer 4

Setup I Want

• Storage 2 (e-coding; encrypted with password y; stored on Server B): backup of computer 3 & computer 4
  • Storage 3 (RSA encrypted; with e-coding; stored on Server A): containing all current snapshots in Storages 1 & 2 above. I want to be able to backup computers 1 & 2 directly to this storage and periodically Copy backups contained in Storage 2 to this storage
  • Storage 1: will be deleted post migration of backups to Storage 3.

To do this I believe that I would need to make Storage 3 copy compatible with both Storage 1 and Storage 2 and then simply run a copy operation from both of the current storages into the new one and it should be job done. The only problem is I can’t work out how to do this.

I should also mention that I have access to both Server A and B and they are both geographically in different locations. I can run local copy operations on either server and would like to minimise transfers between servers (although that will obviously need to happen to move the contents of Storage 2 to Storage 3).

If someone could give me some pointers in the right direction that would be great.

I don’t know the ins and outs of whether you can have a RSA storage and non-RSA storage whilst being copy-compatible (IIRC there might be an upcoming change that allows copying to be done without providing the private key?)…

That aside, it’s not clear if your storage 1 and 2 is already copy-compatible? If not, you won’t be able to create a 3rd storage that’s copy-compatible with both, as the keys can only be copied from one storage.

Assuming 1 and 2 are copy-compatible, it sounds like you just want to create a new copy-compatible storage (3) of storage 1 - and this can be done locally on server A to minimise bandwidth.

IF 1 and 2 are not already copy-compatible, I’m afraid you’ll have to sacrifice one of the storages and recreate it.

However, you can pre-populate chunks - say, of the most recent snapshots - for the new storage, and save bandwidth.

The way I’d do this is to restore the most recent backups of storage 1 to a temporary location on server A and then create a new storage (3) which, is copy-compatible with 2. Then, backup the restored files at the temporary location to the new 3. Alternatively, if computers 1 and 2 are local to the network, you can get them to backup to the new storage 3. Most of the chunks created by either method should be the same, deterministically.

1 Like

Hi @Droolio,

Thanks for your reply and the great information.

It sounds like the reason I couldn’t get what I wanted to do to work was because it is not possible. In my case none of the existing storages (Storage 1 & Storage 2) are copy compatible.

I had thought of the work around of restoring the most recent snapshot locally and then creating a new repo. The reason I hadn’t gone that method was because I didn’t want unencrypted backups lying around the server, but I guess I’ll just have to put up with that temporarily.

Thanks again for the help!