Copy from local to offsite SFTP, difficulty with encryption list/restore on offsite

I am new to Duplicacy and really liking it.

From the GUI
I can back up local fine.
I can run a copy to offsite SFTP.
I can restore from either the local of the offsite SFTP.

Once files are backed up locally, I run:
copy -from localbackup -to offsite

This works. From the web GUI on local I can see / restore from the offsite SFTP.

However, if I get on the offsite machine and run anything via CLI, even a simple “list”, it asks for the password and throws back: “Failed to download the configuration file from the storage: Failed to retrieve the config file: cipher: message authentication failed”

I am for certain using the correct password.

If I run the same command / password on the local machine, it works.

On the local machine, run duplicacy list -reset-passwords against the offsite storage to check if the password is correct.

When I do this, I get “Repository has not been initialized”
Following a note I saw on another post of someone using the GUI and CLI, I tried changing directory to:
.duplicacy-web/repositories/localhost/all/
and then run:
duplicacy list -reset-passwords -storage offsitestorage
It then correctly asks for the SSH password and the the storage password.

The storage password once again shows, “Failed to download the configuration file from the storage: Failed to retrieve the config file: cipher: message authentication failed”

I can use the GUI on the local machine to view and restore from the offsite storage. The issue seems to only be with CLI, or my lack of understanding in how to use the CLI.

The error message cipher: message authentication failed means you entered the wrong storage password.

To retrieve the correct storage password, run the web GUI with the -print-credentials option. The storage password will be printed out to stdout before a job is running.

2 Likes

Thank you! That did reveal the issue.

I see that even though I could run the commands locally, the password on the offsite storage had a typo.

For anyone: Feel free to use the :heart: button on the posts that you found useful.

For the OP of any #support topic: you can mark the post that solved your issue by ticking the :checked: under the post. That of course may include your own post :slight_smile: