Creating a Dropbox backup in my Unraid server

I understand that I can do shares backups from my server to Dropbox with Duplicacy. But that’s not what I want…I want to do the opposite, backup my Dropbox content to a share in my Unraid server…can Duplicacy do that?
Thanks, André

Sync your dropbox content locally (e.g. with rclone) and then backup that local data to unraid.

That’s the point…I have my Dropbox folder in my Mac, but I have set it to keep most data in the cloud only, so I don’t fill my local drive…that’s why I need to backup all the data from the cloud straight to the Unraid server…

There is a feature request, Support for dataless files.

I don’t use Dropbox and don’t know how did they implement remote filesystem; some services serve remote data using locally run SMB or nfs server, that only downloads data being accessed. This way on the first run all data will get downloaded and cached, space permitting, and on subsequent backups only changed data (size/mod time) will be fetched.

If I remember correctly, out of the third party tools — Mountain Duck does that. It will mount your Dropbox folder and only download what duplicacy will touch, up to the limit of cache size. Next time duplicacy won’t touch unchanged files so they won’t get fetched.

You may also have some luck with StrongSync, but the quality of that software is very low, I don’t recommend it.

Also (but you probably already know it) don’t use any FUSE based mounters like rclone — defeating macOS security to run third party kernel extension for disk mounter is silly.

There is another, perhaps even simpler option: you already have an alway-on Linux server. Install rclone, mount or sync your Dropbox folder there, and run duplicacy to backup that folder to backup destination on your unraid.

1 Like