Dark Mode in upcoming GUI

By now both Windows and macOS and even a bunch of websites, (such as forum.duplicacy.com :slight_smile: ) support “Dark Mode”.

Hope the upcoming GUI fully embraces that – and if not, may I please suggest to put it that on a roadmap somewhere in not so distant future?

I’m using dark mode on all any devices for a while now and occasional app that does not conform causes quite an annoying disruption by blasting my eyes with light every time I have to use it.

And while at it, if the new GUI app puts an icon in macOS menu bar please provide an option to make it monochromatic. Because right now the signature green puffy cube sticks out in otherwise subdued bar (disregard pink bars - had to censor some stuff out)`.

Cheers!

4 Likes

I’ll add an option to enable this mode. Please remind me if you don’t see it in, say, a month after the new web GUI is released.

3 Likes

Reminding, since beta was released more than one month ago.
Will also remind after a month after first release :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This has been implemented in 0.2.10. You just need to add a key to the ~/.duplicacy-web/settings.json file as follows:

{
    "dark_mode": true,
}
3 Likes

Hmmm. Does not seem to work:

alexmbp:Duplicacy Web Edition.app alex$ cat ~/.duplicacy-web/settings.json
{
    "dark_mode": true,
    "listening_address": "127.0.0.1:3875",
    "temporary_directory": "/Users/alex/.duplicacy-web/repositories",
    "log_directory": "/Users/alex/.duplicacy-web/logs"
}
alexmbp:Duplicacy Web Edition.app alex$ pwd
/Applications/Duplicacy Web Edition.app
alexmbp:Duplicacy Web Edition.app alex$ grep -R  "dark_mode" .
Binary file ./Contents/MacOS/duplicacy_web_osx_x64 matches

Exited and re-opened Duplicacy: no dark mode

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 11.51.43 AM.png

Sorry I thought you only wanted the menu icon to be in the dark mode.

I don’t know if there is an easy way to change all web pages into the dark mode. I’ll look into that.

Ah, that explains it! Indeed, the icon is now gray (I even thought – why is it gray - are all schedules disabled? :smile:)

Yes, I meant for the pages to render in dark mode (Like this forum does, and all other native MacOS apps). Obviously, this is in no way urgent or a dealbreaker - just something nice to have when/if you get to it. Ideally, users configure it once, and never have to look at the UI again. So this is not such as big deal… Just makes it more polished and consistent experience.

You should be able to do this easily with a CSS variable or even a separate CSS style.
But I don’t know how that works with go compilation.
There might be some limitations.
My guess is that it won’t be difficult. Worth a try.

1 Like

I think this feature is better left for after release. It is not that big of a deal (UX-wise) but getting the css right might be a pain and it is a time consuming task.

Plus, if this is brought as a release x.1 it would make people happier (yaaaay duplicacy has more goodies for me!) than waiting 3 more weeks or so for the x.0 release (just to get all the contrast right and everything).

4 Likes

Leaving this here as there’s a nice dark mode project that already has the css figured out for duplicacy and many other programs:

4 Likes

This looks interesting. I’ll figure out if and how I can use it in Duplicacy. This won’t happen for 1.5.0 though, as I’m preparing for a new release this week.

1 Like

Any update on this ?

1 Like

I’ll try to get this into the next web GUI release.

3 Likes

Gentle reminder. .....

1 Like

Yes, a dark UI would be very nice. Currently, it can be jarringly bright on an ultrawide monitor.

Just another gentle poke, as I happened to see that variable in one of my installs (don’t even know how it got there…) but indeed did not switch as expected :slight_smile:

If you really want to enable the dark mode, you can use the theme available from Duplicacy - theme.park Docs.

I set it up with the Stylus browser extension: Stylus - Chrome Web Store. Just add a style for http://localhost:3875:

@import "https://theme-park.dev/css/base/duplicacy/dark.css";
1 Like

Any News about this?
Maybe as Option in a new Web UI Release that’s support/based on the new 3.2.x CLI? Any News about this?
Gives a Status, Web, GitHub, … Page for the Web UI Version?

Please clarify what do you mean?

The Dark Mode as an Option in the GUI/Web Version.

The Web/GUI Version is older than the 3.2.x CLI Version/Release and have maybe not all the new Options/Features of the 3.2.x CLI Release. For example SMB, zstd, …

I can see the CLI in the Github Repository, but not the GUI/Webversion.

1 Like