Deduplication not working as expected?

Hello,

My “main” (Windows) workstation has always been set up with separate partitions for OS and data, so I can periodically refresh the OS without worrying about having to copy data over etc. So the majority of backed-up files etc are in non-OS partitions, which is what duplicacy is configured to back up.

I recently reinstalled the OS and wanted to get duplicacy (CLI) running again. However I had renamed the one of the top-level data folders to something else, and I’m not sure if this “broke” deduplication…

What used to be:

D:\Users\<username>\Documents
D:\Users\<username>\Pictures
(etc)

Is now:

D:\Users-Data\<username>\Documents
D:\Users-Data\<username>\Pictures
(etc)

I updated the duplicacy “filters” file to match, but also removed all other folders except for “Documents”, and kicked off a test (dry-run) backup to confirm everything was picked up correctly.

The reason I only included the “Documents” folder for now was to see if I could do a quick-and-dirty pass to check duplicacy was correctly working; the “Pictures” folder has well over 1TB in it, and data in other partitions are also over 1TB, and I did not want to add these just yet.

However I noticed that in the stats output it seems a lot of the data is being re-uploaded, despite almost none of the files having changed since the last backup (which was only a couple of days ago):

D:\_Backups\BackupSources>duplicacy -d backup -dry-run -stats
Backup for D:\_Backups\BackupSources at revision 1248 completed
Files: 18155 total, 39,218M bytes; 18151 new, 39,141M bytes
File chunks: 7932 total, 39,221M bytes; 23 new, 192,588K bytes, 147,639K bytes uploaded
Metadata chunks: 4 total, 6,219K bytes; 4 new, 6,219K bytes, 2,179K bytes uploaded
All chunks: 7936 total, 39,227M bytes; 27 new, 198,808K bytes, 149,818K bytes uploaded
Total running time: 00:52:40

Have I read this correctly; if I performed an actual backup it would be re-uploading ~150GB worth of new chunks? The changed files since the last backup can’t be more than 10-20MB!

FYI the D:\_Backups\BackupSources folder contains junctions/links to the various partitions, e.g. C, D, etc, and filters file looks like:

-C/*
+D/
+D/Users-Data/
+D/Users-Data/user1/
+D/Users-Data/user1/Documents/
+D/Users-Data/user1/Documents/*
-D/*
-E/*
-M/*

As I mentioned above, for this test run I removed other folders from the “filters” file that were previously being backed up; these were on other partitions (e.g. C:\ drive itself, E:, M:, etc).

I hope I’m just missing/misreading something here - any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Alex

The output says ~150MB, i.e., 149,818K bytes uploaded.

1 Like

The output says ~150MB, i.e., 149,818K bytes uploaded.

Oooopss… serves me right for trying to do this sort of stuff at 3am! :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

And you know, the funny thing is that I looked at the number, then checked it again, and my brain was sure it was 150GB and not 150MB lol

Thanks for setting me right!
-Alex

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.