Do not stop restore when disconnecting Web UI or leaving Restore page

Allow restore to continue without Web UI connection. See [Restore with web UI stops if you leave the page](Restore with web UI stops if you leave the page

My concern is that a restore operation may be left running unintentionally when you close the restore page.

1 Like

So what happens if a restore that is going to run for ~10 hours overnight is started from a remote client, and then one logs out, ending the browser session?

1 Like

While this could happen, I think giving the user the option to choose it prudent. As gorlen said, some of us have big datasets that take a while to restore. Being able to set it and then forget it would be really nice, even if it’s not default.

2 Likes

I have to agree with the above, a restore is generally a wanted action and when restoring large datasets you should be able to leave it running without keeping the web UI open. This could be an opt-in thing per restore.

3 Likes

Me too. I’m having a lot of troubles restoring a big backup (going to take 3 days) using the web GUI

1 Like

I’m a relatively new duplicacy user and have already unintentionally killed my first test restore, which was estimated to take a day and a half to complete. I’m hoping the restore will pick up where it left off now that I’ve started a new restore of the same backup to the same location. I’m having trouble imagining a situation where a restore is left running unintentionally and it causes a problem. I’m sure it’s possible but I would think it very rare. As a home user running duplicacy on my NAS, requiring me to keep a web page open on my desktop computer is an accident waiting to happen. Please make it an option to disable this requirement!

1 Like

I agree to you, a complete server restore is taking hours, and you may need to keep hope that the site will not interrupt. I mean veeam in example — you start the restore and can exit the console and get back later on.
Or other example. I started a screen command. Or similar in the background - i mean, like Proxmox the webinterfaces. Can be opened and closed at any time and my VMs still running even like VMWare… so why is this Software that i paid for, does not provide this easy and essential feature?

1 Like

:+1: Given that there is a lot of things that can close a browser tab (computer sleeps, the tab is closed by mistake, the browser crashes, the computer reboots, …) the only way is to have a computer dedicated to the restore process, that, in my case can last up to 1 week. Imo this is not sustainable. I see 2 options:

• As many have said, make the restore process run in the background, and if possible notify the user by email that it finished
  • Instead of doing the restore, provide a link that contains all the metadata of the restore and the user would use curl or wget to download the files in a tar.gz file for example.
1 Like

How is this still a thing? Took me many tries to get a restore finished for multiple reasons. Biggest one being “oh hey BTW having a space in your share drive name breaks functionality, this is a known thing but apparently isn’t worth fixing”.
2nd inability to restore without leaving a web page open. Why? Because someone, not many I bet, in some freak scenario unintentionally started a restore and don’t want to keep it going? Oops I didn’t know I started a restore and it’s been downloading all night!!! Cursed software!!!

Come on. It’s 2022. Don’t tell me I made the wrong choice of backup solutions.

3 Likes

Somewhat similar backblaze offers a separate restore app, i hated it.

I would rather what people have suggested it runs in the background once the restore starts you should get the standard message (restore will continue in the background you may close your browser)

1 Like

So you’re saying this will not be implemented?

What is the harm if a restore operation is left running unintentionally?

In the case of a large restore that takes a long time, I see real harm if the restore browser tab gets closed accidentally or some Internet hiccup causes the restore operation to end. Is there a workaround for these situations, other than starting over?

1 Like

Some people pay for egress, and it can be a lot. Unintentional anything is bad, but in this case it can cost real money.

I didn’t think of that; thanks for the reminder.

But, @gchen said this in another thread
“The web GUI supports restoring in the background since 1.5.3”

2 Likes

It can also cost real money if an intentional download gets aborted half way or more through and needs to be restarted from the beginning. I pay for egress and I’m perfectly happy to be responsible for not “forgetting” I started a download.

1 Like