Duplicacy on Raspberry Pi 4?

I saw a couple of posts about using a Raspberry Pi as a server, but can’t find anything about using it as a client. Here’s my situation: I’ve got a NAS box on-site that I want to back up to a remote location, and would like to use the Pi to do the backups (so I don’t have all the power consumption from a regular PC running 24/7).

I have been able to get the various directories mounted on the Pi so I can see them just fine, so now I need to install Duplicacy on the Pi. It appears to be a 64-bit ARM device, so I downloaded the duplicacy_linux_arm64_2.2.3 from the github repository. However, now I’m stuck! I’m guessing it’s just a simple thing, but haven’t used github before… I’m relatively familiar/comfortable with Unix/Linux (though not a master), so once I get a push in the right direction, I think I’ll be able to get it going…

I was able to get those directories backing up on Windows from the command line (they’re mounted as network drives on Windows), so I think I should be able to use the same command-line from the Pi and it’ll continue as it did before, correct?

Help, please! :slight_smile: Thanks!

What have you done, and what errors did you get? Without knowing at least this, we cannot help you.
Did you chmod +x the executable file?

Thanks for the reply.

I am assuming the duplicacy_linux_arm64_2.2.3 is the executable since it doesn’t have any file extension that indicates it’s some other kind of file. So, given that assumption, here’s what I have done:

chmod 755 duplicacy_linux_arm64_2.2.3

Then I ran the following just to see if ti will run:

./duplicacy_linux_arm64_2.2.3

This resulted in a error of “cannot execute binary file:Exec format error”

If I try it using

sudo ./duplicacy_linux_arm64_2.2.3

I get an error saying “syntax error: “)” unexpected”

This surprised me, as I expected the same executable error as before…

Thanks for any other thoughts you have!

I’m not sure if linux_arm64 apps work on Raspberry Pi 4. Maybe you should try the linux_arm build instead?

1 Like

Ah, looks like that does it! Sorry for the confusion! The Pi 4 claims to have a 64-bit processor, so I figured that’s what I needed, but the linux_arm looks like it does the trick! Thanks!

1 Like

I know you’ve found your issue, but for future reference, if you run ‘uname -m’ it’ll say “armv71” for the 32-bit ARM version, and “aarch64” for the 64-bit version.

Last I checked, aarch64 support for the rPi4 wasn’t ready yet.

You probably already know that the client arm_64 version now runs on the RPi4.
At least it starts a browser in chromium with a dashboard.
Now I need to do some configuration on my qnap.