Duplicacy on remote server

Hi
I’m considering using duplicacy to backup some of my Synology NAS data to Blackblaze
However, since my NAS is not docker capable, I’m thinking about installing Duplicacy in Docker on another server I own, mount the shares and then backup to B2.
Shall I expect any issue? is this going to slow down the process drastically (considering my LAN speed is good)?
Any suggestion instead of this setup?
Thanks for your help!

That should work. However, if your Synlogy NAS has a good cpu, running the Duplicacy executable (either the web GUI or the CLI) directly on it may be faster.

Have a look at this: Duplicacy Web on Synology Diskstation without Docker | Trinkets, Odds, and Ends

hi
thanks for your answers
my NAS is a DS214, pretty old, and I’m afraid the CPU will quickly reach its limits
I’ve tried yesterday the setup I was mentioning, with a limited set of data (1.5 GB), it worked well, with an average of 2 MB/s (1 thread only)
I can probably reach higher speeds since this set was a lot of small files, however neither speed nor bandwith are a constraint, so I think this is the perfect solution!

The only unknown so far is how much space I will gain with deduplication (my wife has an habit of duplicating files 2 or 3 times over the time…)
Is there a way to have an idea of the final space needed? To know which plan I shall subscribe to

My wife also works generating several versions of the same file with few modifications. In her case, ~525 GB is taking up ~435 GB on Backblaze B2. If they are just identical copies of the same file in separate folders, the deduplication will be much greater and the space occupied will be close to that of one copy.

Backblaze B2 has no “plans”, you pay for what you use ($0.005/GB per month).

Details:

great!

yes I know, but I haven’t decided yet if I will go for B2 or for Google Drive with a 2TB plan
However, from what you are telling me, I will probably be around 1-1.5 TB, so B2 comes cheaper

Go with B2. Google drive (and other synced “drives” like Dropbox and Onedrive) are simply not reliable enough for this type of application (long-term backups), and are also very slow. Storage services should be used, and among these, B2 has the best cost-benefit ratio.

great, all clear, I’ll set up eveything during the week! :+1:
thanks to everybody!