Duplicacy upload speed is extremely slow

Unfortunately on my computer the Duplicacy upload speed to Backblaze B2 is extremely slow, compared to all other backup solutions I have tested – and I have tested many. I was a CrashPlan user for many years, and after CrashPlan kicked his customers out, I have tested many alternatives.

What I want to achieve is the following:

1. Backing up from all of my family computers using Duplicacy to one single storage located on a special “backup” computer (Win 7 64 bit) that hosts many common files, images, videos, etc.

2. Copying from this special “backup” computer all saved backups using Duplicacy “copy” to a Backblaze B2 account (as recommended in the Duplicacy tutorials.

At the moment the “copy” upload speed is between 700 kbit/s and sometimes 1500 kbit/s. With this extremely slow speed I would need many months to upload all backups to B2.

Am I doing something wrong? YES, I did, see last post.

How are you measuring the speed?

My Internet Access Router shows it – it has a built in download and upload stream speed monitoring (see screenshot).
ScreenShot-20180708-100118

If I run CrashPlan, or Arq, or Duplicati, the upstream speed always goes up to the maximum of 2500 kbit/s.

Okay, I just wanted to make sure that you’re using the same method for measuring speed for each software you are using.

Could you paste the command you are using in duplicacy?

C:\_Duplicacy\duplicacy.exe copy -from <my local storage name> -to <my online storage name> -threads 2 (this is the maximum on this computer)

Okay, thanks. I think now it’s @gchen’s turn to say something here.

Why is two threads the maximum? What happens if you try to use more?

Oh, and what’s the speed when you use duplicacy backup?

I made a big rookie mistake: I mixed up Duplicity Threads with CPU Threads, that’s why I set it to 2. :confused:

Now I’ve set threads to 6 and now it’s running full upload speed of 2500 kbit/s.

I’m sorry about that mistake. :grimacing: This forum thread could be deleted.

2 Likes

You don’t think anyone else might make the same mistake? :wink:

1 Like

You may be right. :wink:
Thanks for your help!