Effect of restoring a Windows image on Duplicacy

I am considering Duplicacy to backup non-system drives on my PC. One of the things I do regularly is to make system images using Macrium Reflect.

I assume that Duplicacy stores logs of what it has uploaded and I am wondering how it handles a situation where I have already uploaded files but, because I have then reverted back to an older Windows image, it thinks that these files are still to be uploaded.

Would it see these on the destination when it attempted to upload them and skip them, or would it reupload?

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks

It would not care, see, it does not operate on a per-file basis; instead what matters is if the content of the files has changed and it does not matter how - by going forward in time or backwards. It will only re-upload new changed chunks if there are any.

Moreover, going back in time will likely result in no new data transferred at all because that old data has already been uploaded back then. It will only create a new snapshot file corresponding to the current state of your data referencing existing chunks in the database.

So, in short - yes, it will do the right thing.

3 Likes

Thank you. Looks like I have found my new backup service then.

3 Likes