Excessive entitlements requested by gcd_start

When authorizing the Google Drive connection via gcd_start the following permissions are being asked: “See, edit, create, and delete all of your Google Drive files”. Which looks like duplicacy is asking for “drive” scope.

This is excessive. All Duplicacy needs is access to files it creates itself. Which means, “drive.file” should suffice.

In addition, it would be great if there was an option to choose to use AppData folder instead (like Arq does in the recent version) – this would require drive.appdata scope which is least restrictive and easier for the user to grant.

1 Like

I’ll make the “drive.file” scope the default, with an option to choose the “drive” scope for backward compatibility. But, I’m not sure about the AppData folder – there is no easy way to access files under this folder so I would not suggest using it.

2 Likes

Thank you

Those files only are meaningful for duplicacy. Accessing them with any other piece of software, including general file browsers, is pointless: the data can only be used by duplicacy.

And duplicacy can get access to it any time by creating a new set of credentials from the same google project — which would always be the case automatically by design. I agree that perhaps adding a warning would be beneficial though.

One of the most interesting features of Duplicacy design is that I can freely move my backups to the storage I want.

I moved Duplicacy files several times using Rclone. Wouldn’t it be more complicated if you were using AppData? I personally prefer that the files are more “visible”.

While arguably the “correct” way to move data would be via duplicacy copy I’d think you should be able to give the same token to rclone to mount that app folder.

While I understand what you mean — it’s all smoke and mirrors anyway :slight_smile: data is shredded at google servers and seeing My Drive in the web interface is not different than seeing appdata folder in duplicacy or rclone. IMO — having that data “visible” only provides opportunity for me to accidentally delete or corrupt that data; but if I can’t see it — I can’t break it.

2 Likes

Good point. :ok_hand: