Failed to create the sftp client: ssh: handshake failed: EOF

Hi All,

I’ve been attempting to host a duplicacy_webui on my unRaid server that is hosted locally. While attempting to connect via sftp to my local server I received such an error:

Failed to create the sftp client: ssh: handshake failed: EOF.

Im wondering what I could be doing wrong here?

I’m entering the local server IP along with the port its hosted out of (3875), the username and the password for the user account on unRaid and yet it can’t connect.

I’ve attempted to view the logs from duplicacy_web.log but nothing stands out except for the error I’ve pasted below which I don’t think is relevant to my situation.

Failed to get the value from the keyring: keyring/dbus: Error connecting to dbus session, not registering SecretService provider: exec: “dbus-launch”: executable file not found in $PATH

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I had this working initially but after I restarted the container it no longer has worked.

SSH on unraid is hosted on 3875? (Just to confirm, feels weird)

Can you connect with SSH on port 3875?

Correct.

I attempted an SSH connection via port 3875 on my local windows desktop and received this error.

ssh -p 3875 buran@192.168.86.XXX
load pubkey “C:\Users\Buran/.ssh/id_rsa”: invalid format
kex_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host|

I can now see that the pathing for that id_rsa key is invalid which could have caused my connection issues, but Im not using a public key to authenticate to my unraid duplicacy server, only password.

Let’s not bring windows into the mix.

SSH to your unraid, and try to access the SFTP server with the same credentials you are trying to configure duplicacy storage with.

One of the possibilities is that your SFTP server on that port does not support modern ciphers, in this case instead of sftp:// try sftpc:// in duplicacy.

but ideally, it would be useful to see verbose connection log

ssh -p 3875 -vvv localhost

Why is the server on port 3875 and not 22? Unraid already has buit-in SSH server, no?

Hi Saspus,

The issue turns out to have been on my end, this is my first time setting up Duplicacy on my local network so I didn’t understand why the docker container was mapped to port 3875.

Before I was attempting to connect via port 3875 when it should have been port 22 like you mentioned.

Once I changed the port and picked the proper id_rsa private key it worked flawlessly.

Thank you so much for your help and patience.

1 Like