Failed to list the directory

Hi! I’m new to using the Duplicacy GUI (which I am running from my Synology NAS using the Synology pkg) and was able to connect my B2 bucket to my Duplicacy Storage, and was successful in backing up one folder as a test. However, when I tried to back up another folder, I got the following error message:

Failed to list the directory: open /volume1/photo: permission denied

I searched the forum for a solution but did not see anything that addressed this same issue.

User account that duplicacy is running as does not have access to /volume1/photo folder. You may want to give that user read access to the photo folder.

Thanks for your reply. I’ll have to see how I can do that with my Synology.

I didn’t need to give user read access to the other folder I backed up, which is saved in the same directory as the photo folder. Before I started to get this error message, I was actually able to create a backup of the photo folder, but it wouldn’t run.

/volume1/photo is not a folder – it’s a subvolume, or how sinology calls it “a share”. You can compare permissions on the folder that works and that does not. Another difference could be in whether you use linux permissions or ACLs.

I’m not sure what user is synology using to run applications.

Photo is also one of the “special” folders that synology handles in some mysterios special way…

Thank you! I think I may have resolved the issue.
Here are the steps I took:

1. I went to Control PanelShared Folder.
  2. Then I selected the shared folder “photo”, and clicked Edit.
  3. Within the new popup window, I clicked on Permissions, selected System internal user under the drop-down selection.
  4. In the newly populated list, I looked for duplicacy and checked the checkbox under Read Only.

Once I did this, Duplicacy was able to open the subvolume with no issues.

Thanks again or your help, @saspus! I do have a follow-up question regarding the permissions. Should I only give Duplicacy read only permissions? Does it not need write permissions for restores?

To do backup read is enough. You can also restore to another location entirely. Or you can grant write permission if you want to restore in-place. But since restore is such a rare (ideally, never) operation I would keep access readonly until it’s needed.