Failed to retrieve the config file: cipher: message authentication failed

I’m moving some storages to different folders on my NAS. I added a new key in the preferences file, with the new storage name ("name":) and its new path ("storage":). However, when I run a check on the new storage, it asks for the password and then I get:

ERROR STORAGE_CONFIG Failed to download the configuration file from the storage: Failed to retrieve the config file: cipher: message authentication failed

I have already tried with two storages and I get the same error. I’m using a password manager, so - in principle - it’s not a wrong password.

I’ve found some topics with similar error messages, but they seem to be related to other causes.

Am I doing something wrong?

If you’re pasting keys/passwords directly into the (json formatted) preferences file as opposed to the command line, you may need to escape it properly. Here’s a handy converter.

This is likely because Duplicacy is getting the wrong password from keyring due to the change in the storage name. Run duplicacy list -reset to reenter the password.

Nope, passwords are not saved into the json preferences file, I provide them at runtime and Duplicacy saves them in the keyring.

Same result:

DUPLICACY -log -verbose list -storage [redacted - new storage] -reset-passwords	    
2019-05-11 12:15:56.921 INFO REPOSITORY_SET Repository set to [redacted - new storage]
2019-05-11 12:15:56.937 INFO STORAGE_SET Storage set to [redacted - new path]
Enter storage password:****************************************************************
2019-05-11 12:16:09.472 TRACE CONFIG_ITERATIONS Using 16384 iterations for key derivation
2019-05-11 12:16:09.493 ERROR STORAGE_CONFIG Failed to download the configuration file from the storage: Failed to retrieve the config file: cipher: message authentication failed

Remembering that when I ran the check command Duplicay already asked me for the password, as I mentioned above.

I’ve tried editing only the “storage:” (keeping the old “name:”) and also creating a new entry with the two new values, and always returns the same error.

I know I can use add, but I would like to take the opportunity to test the portability simply by moving the files and editing the preferences file (and confirming the password for the “new” storage at runtime).

If Duplicacy asked you to enter the password, then it must be a wrong password. Or the config file is corrupted.

You should be able to move the config file from one storage to another – the storage name doesn’t matter.