General questions (best practices)

Hi all,

I’m just evaluating Duplicacy with the web GUI. The basic procedures are working, but I need a little help with a good backup strategy. My main storage for hourly backups of my MacBook Pro is a Mac mini in my local network with several external hard drives. Does it make sense to check the storage after each backup? And for making a aditiional copy of the storage on one external hard drive to another one connected to the Mac mini, do I have to install Duplicacy on the mini, too?

The MacBook’s SSD is APFS formatted (as are the external hard drives with the storage), should I go with the -vss option for the hourly backups?

And how often do you people prune old snapshots? The hard drive containing the storage has 5 TB, my MacBook has a 500 GB hard drive, an additional MacBook with 500 MB will share this space for backups. Are the default values for pruning meaningful?

Best
Joachim

No. Once a week, maybe once a month.

You can run the copy command straight from the MacBook Pro.

Try it and see. If there aren’t any errors, or if programs don’t misbehave, then you can use it without worries. I expect you won’t have issues, but i know that on windows microsoft’s own outlook doesn’t work properly, that’s why i’m warning you.

I do it once a week, but i guess you can totally go once a month (in the second case prune will take longer though since it has more data to go through).

Another interesting thread about pruning: Prune Default ID and other Prune Questions

1 Like