Great product and community

I have recently migrated from an old Mac Mini with some attached storage to a Synology DS. On the Mac I had been using Arq for a long time, always worked fine for me (except the infamous version 6 of course).

I tried Hyper Backup, but the performance is quite something; the thing spent days doing “stuff”, but not really uploading that much. I got decent results using Synology C2 Storage, but that is expensive and only allows multiples of 1 TB (I was using 2.04 TB and I had to buy 3).

After some research, I ended up here, and with Duplicacy I managed to do a full backup to Wasabi at an average of 53 MB/s (which matches the connection speed that I can see with Wasabi’s own speed test)!

A big thank you for this great product, and a huge thank you to @saspus as well: beside all the insights I got from your posts on the forum, I am also using your Docker image. The idea behind the mini image is brilliant, and this way I can limit the resources that Duplicacy uses (with no constraints the memory usage was a bit out of control).

4 Likes

Great to hear that you’re happy with :d: so far. I have found it quite cumbersome a lot of the time (though, as others have noted, it is rock solid) so that I’ve been looking at arq as an alternative but its lack of cross-backup deduplication has turned me off, so far (plus the hassle of starting terrabytes of backup from scratch…). May I ask what made you leave arq, given that it worked fine for you?

1 Like

May I ask what made you leave arq, given that it worked fine for you?

I did not leave Arq, I am still using it to back up my laptop. The issue is its lack of cross platform support: there are only versions for Windows and macOS, but not Linux so I could not run it on my NAS natively or in a container. I could have installed it on a windows VM, but that looked a bit much to be honest :slight_smile:

I plan to move everything to :d: eventually, exactly because of the cross-backup deduplication (and also the more active development and community and the fact that it’s open source) which could save me some space, but I have to sort out the old backups first.