How does prune handle the following scenarios? Will one scenario remove more files than another?

I am trying to ascertain does the ability of prune to reduce storage space being used depend on if I am creating a new file each day, editing the same file over a longer period of time say a week/month or it makes no difference?

Scenario 1: The same file “test_month.doc” is changed each day for 28 days and there is a daily Duplicacy backup taken
Scenario 2: A file is created each week “test_week_1.doc, test_week_2.doc, … test_week4.doc” and the appropriate file is changed each day for 28 days and there is a daily Duplicacy backup
Scenario 3: An individual file is created each day “test_day_1.doc, test_day_2.doc … test_day_28.doc” for 28 days and there is a daily Duplicacy backup

A prune is performed so a revision is kept every 2 days to reduce storage space being used.

Scenario 1: Will this prune remove the “test_month.doc” file stored in revision 2, 4, 6, … 28?
Scenario 2:
Scenario 3: Will this prune remove “test_day_2.doc” in revision 2, “test_day_4.doc” in revision 4 … “test_day_28” stored in revision 28?

(these are just a top level example to try to explain - I realise there are more days/weeks in some months - I guess if the chunk has other files in it it will not be removed …)

Thanks

It makes no difference. Data is combined into a sausage and sliced up into chunks. The prior history of the file is irrelevant. For more details see the IEEE paper.

1 Like