How to check for new version and how to update?

Hi there,

i bought Duplicacy in 02/23 for my Windows PC and use it since there with the Web-GUI.

Since the installation in february, there has never been any indication of an update or that a new version has been released. Could that be?

In the Dashboard i see "Duplicacy Web Edition 1.6.3 ".

How can i check if there is a newer Version and how can i update it?
And are these two separate parts, the cli and the gui, that have to be updated?

Thanks for Info,
Alex

The web GUI doesn’t self-update. You’ll need to manually check Duplicacy, uninstall the current version and then install the new version.

Ok thanks.

Can I install the new over the current version or is it important to uninstall the old one first?

As written, the Dashboard of the Web-GUI shows "Duplicacy Web Edition 1.6.3 ".
But “C:\Users\Alex.duplicacy-web\bin>duplicacy_win_x64_3.1.0.exe” shows:
“VERSION: 3.1.0 (27FF3E)”
Is it normal to have two Versions?

BTW: A note in the dashboard, that there is a newer version, would be very nice and useful :slight_smile:

This is gui version

This is the actual backup engine managed by the gui.

It’s much easier to uninstall the old one first and will avoid at least two potential pitfalls.

Ok, but my config (storage, backup-jobs, …) are taken over with uninstall and reinstall?

1 Like

Some information on this would be helpful.

Since i didn’t get an answer to my question here, i uninstalled duplicay webedition today and installed the latest version. And now it’s happened, my whole configuration is gone! what about my previous backups? That’s very annoying, that’s exactly what i was afraid of.
I still have a new complete backup of my system. where exactly are the config files or which ones do i need so that all my storages and backup settings are back?

Thanks for help.

Ok, problem solved.
After a restart of windows everything is back. that was a shock moment.

On windows it can be installed in two places per user or per system.

If you run installer as administrator you get a choice of how to install it.

Depending on how it was installed before and how you installed it now you could end up with two instances of duplicacy that would be fighting for three port.

Ensure you only have one.

How can i check this exactly?

Can somebody explain please, how i can check where it was installed the first time?

I believe there are only two modes you can choose to install as. At the end of the install you are prompted to install as a service (I’m not sure why anyone wouldn’t want to do this). If you choose this option and install the service, then the install path goes to C:\ProgramData.duplicacy-web and this would be considered the system path. If not installing the service, it ends up in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local.duplicacy-web.

If this happens, I would recommend you uninstall and re-install and choose to install with the service at the end. Check both paths to see where it exists.

Thanks for Info.

I uninstalled it now again and installed it now as admin and with service.
My Config is (duplicacy.json) is under C:\ProgramData.duplicacy-web, so it seems to be ok.

But i’am litte confused, because under “C:\ProgramData.duplicacy-web\bin” there is only the file duplicacy_win_x64_3.1.0.exe
But under “C:\Users\Alex.duplicacy-web\bin” there is the file
duplicacy_win_x64_3.1.0.exe
and also the newer duplicacy_win_x64_3.2.3.exe

Why is the newer version file not also under “C:\ProgramData.duplicacy-web\bin” ?

Login to the Duplicacy localhost portal and what do you see under Settings? If it shows anything other than 3.2.3 for the current version of the Command Line, then fully remove and re-install for All Users and include the service at the end. If you haven’t setup any of the settings, you could also delete the .duplicacy-web folder after you uninstall.

→ Current Version 3.1.0

This is exactly what i’ve done this morning → “install for All Users and include the service at the end”

Backup the following from both install locations (just in case):

.duplicacy-web\duplicacy.json
.duplicacy-web\filters

Then delete the .duplicacy-web\ folder from both locations and start over. Be sure you download and are running the latest installer.

I finally did it today:

→ Backup of c:\ProgramData.duplicacy-web (there are the actual configs)
→ Uninstall Duplicacy
→ Download https://acrosync.com/duplicacy-web/duplicacy_web_installer_win64_1.8.0.exe
→ Install as Admin for All Users with the Service

The Dashboard/Settings shows now:
Command Line Version
Current Version 2.7.2

I’am confused now? Befrore i uninstalled, it showed “Current Version 3.1.0” and you wrote it should be “3.2.3”.

What’s going on here?

Go to the Setting page. The On startup automatically update to option should set to latest if you want version 3.2.3.

Please not that CLI 3.0 uses a new snapshot format that is more memory efficient. You can find details here: Duplicacy CLI 3.0.1 release

Is “2.7.2” really the actual stable version?
I ask, because before i uninstalled, settings showed me “Current Version 3.1.0” and the option there was set to “stable”.

Afaik, Web UI uses this URL to figure out stable and latest version: https://duplicacy.com/latest_cli_version