How to setup copy with web-ui

Hi, I have a backup task from my NAS to my local harddrive. I’m now looking to setup a COPY to bring this backup to an external HDD. I see this is easily accomplished via command line operations but want to use the web UI since I’m already using it to manage my main backup.

I tried making a new backup and making it “copy compatible” with the original storage. I made the snapshot with a new name (should I have made it the same?) and ran the job. It appeared in the status as a ‘backup’ not as a ‘copy’. Also, when I checked the backup and tried to restore from it I saw the chunks/snapshots of the first backup. In other words I created a backup of the backup.

What did I do incorrectly? Was it during configuration of my storage or my backup task? How can I setup the copy from the web interface?

EDIT: I tried setting up the storage with a password- the same as my other vault password, and also tried setting it up without a password and the result both times gave the incorrect behavior- backup instead of copy.

Thanks,

1. Configure storage 1
  2. configure storage 2
  3. create new schedule
  4. Add Copy task to the schedule.

Okay this helps, I was looking for it in the wrong place. I was able to get the copy command to work.

I have a question though- it looks like I need to specify a new password for the storage that will be a copy. (If I don’t the files are decrypted as they are copied and stored unencrypted). I tried to setup the 2nd storage as copy compatible and also added the same encryption passphrase. I would have thought that by doing this the chunks would have been identical.

However this doesn’t appear to be the case. After the copy operation the chunks are different. Why is that the case? Shouldn’t this copy operation behave very similarly to just directly copying the backup directory to another location?

Thanks,

Right. Whether the storage is encrypted is determined during storage initialization.

For chunks to be identical you would need to create storage as bit-identical. Ortherwise yes, data is unpacked and repacked, not necessary resulting in the same chunks.

However please do read notes

Okay thanks. Based on this reading I’m going to leave them as not bit identical because I like the idea of unpacking and repacking the data to check for integrity. To review my process is now:

• Setup storage 1 with encryption password
  • Setup storage 2 as copy compatible with storage 1. Use the same (or a new password)
  • Backup data to storage 1
  • Setup a schedule to make a copy from Storage 1 to Storage 2
  • Check both storage 1 and Storage 2

I think this fully answers my questions. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.