How to upgrade cli version

I’m running duplicacy cli v.2.7.2 in a Docker container to do nightly backups and prunes using a cron job. I have fallen far behind since I set this up and would like to upgrade to the current version (v.3.2.3). However, before I do that, I want to be sure I won’t mess up my backups by upgrading.

I searched the wiki, Github issues, and the forum and couldn’t find any instructions on upgrading your version, except this one comment:

Apparently, per that comment, you can just install the new binary.

I have not tested doing backups with the newer version yet, because I don’t want to mess anything up. I have tested restoring files by initializing a repo on my computer. I was able to successfully restore files from my storage using v.3.2.3, although it did give this notice:

snapshot {repository-id} at revision 236 is encoded in an old version format

Can I just update the cli version in my Docker container and I’m ready to go? For example, in my Dockerfile I have this line, which I could just update to the new version:

RUN wget https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy/releases/download/v2.7.2/duplicacy_linux_x64_2.7.2 -O /usr/bin/duplicacy && chmod +x /usr/bin/duplicacy

Once I upgrade, can I just start adding incremental backups using the new version? Is it problematic that I will have older backups that were created with the older version?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

The web GUI finds the CLI from the directory ~/.duplicacy-web/bin. In a docker container the corresponding directory is /config/bin. So if you go into the docker console and manually download CLI 3.2.3 there, it should be automatically picked up by the web GUI after a restart.

Thanks for the quick reply! I’ll give that a try as soon as I can. I upgraded my openmediavault and something went wrong, so I’ve gotta get that running before I can bring my docker containers back up.

It worked! Thank you very much! I just updated my Dockerfile to download the newer version.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.