Include a folder for backup in Mac user library

I would like to include the “keychain” folder in my mac library for backup. I have set my repository as my user folder, though when I use the pattern +Library/Keychains/ it doesn’t back it up (I checked using the restore function). I have it above " -* " so it should be in the correct order already. Please advise.

The backup command has a flag -enum-only. Could you try to use that to check why your folder is excluded?

duplicacy -d backup -enum-only

I forgot to mention, I’m using the GUI interface. How do I run the CLI to see?

Hmmmmm, i don’t know exactly (windows guy here).

Therefore let’s try like this:
download the cli release from github: https://github.com/gilbertchen/duplicacy/releases/download/v2.1.1/duplicacy_osx_x64_2.1.1 and put it inside your repository. (that should be your user folder, from what i understand from OP).
I suggest you rename it simply to duplicacy.
After that you can run in terminal the -enum-only command from above and see what’s going on.

I downloaded the file and renamed it to duplicacy. I put it in my user home folder. I run the command “duplicacy” but it says “command not found”. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

my bad, i think you should try with ./duplicacy -d backup -enum-only (note the ./ in front)

Assuming your root of repository is your home folder, your filter file should look like this, does it?

+Library/
+Library/Keychains/*

Note – the first line is crucial. If you don’t include Library/ it would not even attempt to look at its contents to find that you have included contents of Keychains. You can find more information in Filters/Include exclude patterns

2 Likes

I didn’t know that help article existed, I kept trying to re-read the user manual and look stuff up but it wasn’t the most helpful. After following your instructions I was able to backup the folder.

I was also able to figure out how to run the cli on mac after some googling. I used “sudo chmod 0755” with the duplicacy file to make it executable and now I am able to access the cli interface. From what I read the cli has additional features that the gui doesn’t have (plus it’s free) so I will look into it. Thanks for all your help.

1 Like