Include/Exclude Patterns clarifications

When using the Include/Exclude Patterns, is it necessary to add quotes or special characters for path or file names with spaces? Or is it fine to use the following format (with a space)?

-VM Machines/

And a second, related question. Is it possible to exclude certain file types, such as files with an *.iso or *.tmp extension? If so, would you use a format like below? Would that cover occurrences in any subfolder?

-*.iso

-*.tmp

Spaces can exist without quotes.

Yes, -*.iso will exclude any files with an .iso extension including those in any subfolder.

Thanks!

I have large folder structure with lots of .jpg and .nef files
.nef take about 70% of space
I’d like to exclude them originally to allow all .jpg to be backed up and then remove the filter and let big .nef files to be backed up too. Am I going to have any issues with this approach?

The only (possible issue) may be that in the “first” revision you won’t have the .nef files, only starting with the “second”. After the second backup is complete, all your files will always be in the backup.

All in all i see no problem with your approach and i think it’s a sensible one.

1 Like

Why would you want to backup the jpgs when you have the nefs? Well, okay, I realize I’m assuming that the jpgs are versions of the nefs are because that’s what I have (shooting RAW + jpg). In my scenario it’s enough to backup the RAW files (and, of course, any developed jpgs). Given the naming pattern of the files coming out of the camera, it’s easy to exclude the jpg versions of those.

Then again, if you’re not paying for the storage, there’s no reason not to backup those jpgs.

NEFs are originals
JPGs are developed/cropped/post-processed. They are more important not to loose.

I want all of them backed up eventually, but it looks like it’s going to take a 3-4 days to backup JPGs only and then 2-3 weeks for NEFs. That’s why I want to have at least jpgs to be backed up first, so if (God forbid) HDD fails in a week, I have developed images safe.

1 Like

Are filters case-sensitive? I put -*.nef as a filter and I can see lines like this in the log (on Windows):

11:53:30.633 Packed 2011.03.xx D7000 Test/_DSC4680.NEF (19959418)

If I have to stop the task in GUI, change the filter and restart, will it continue making revision 1 or all the work will be lost and it will start from scratch?

Yep. it will continue. Bonus: all uploaded chunks for the .NEF will be used when you upload the nefs, instead of reuploading.

1 Like