Keep at least one good version of each file?

Hello!

I’m researching for backup solutions and Duplicacy is under review by our team. Linux support, deduplication, cloud support, client side encryption are very nice features.

One thing we couldn’t fully understand was how silent file corruption is handled.

For example, let’s suppose that we’re backing up /directory1/.

We backup a few times by schedule and prune snapshots after 180 days.

If /directory1/photo1.jpg is corrupted for some reason, it will detect the modification and new backup will me made in the next scheduled backup.

If this corruption isn’t detected by the user eventually the good original copy will be pruned, right?

In other words, it is not possible to “keep at least one version of each file”, independently from the snapshot revision, correct?

Thank you in advance.

No, I think if the corruption isn’t detected, it is the good original copy that exists in both old backups and the new backup, so it will never get deleted.

On the other hand, if the change resulting from the corruption is detected, then the corrupted version will be scanned and saved to the new backup. If all old backups containing the original copy are pruned, then the original copy will be lost.