Keeping archived backup from pruning

Hello,

I just did a clean install of my computer and created a new backup of my home folder inside my usual destination.
This means that from now on, I will not be touching my old home folder snapshot anymore. How do I preserve it from being pruned? Especially the function “Delete snapshots older than XXXX days”?

Thanks a lot!

As long as you don’t specify a -keep 0:n option, the first snapshot won’t be removed. For instance, if the first option is -keep 30:n, then Duplicacy will always keep the very first snapshot, then remove any snapshot that is within 30 days but still older than n days.

Ok but the first snapshot is probably the least relevant for me since it’s the oldest data. Any workaround? Or do I need to put a very high number of days before deleting old snapshots so they never get deleted (but then this will impact all my backups, I can live with that…)

So you want to preserve all backups made from your old home folder? If so, just use a new repository/backup id for new backups, and don’t use the -a option when pruning backups (so only backups with the new repository/backup id will be pruned).

However, if you’re rung the web GUI, the prune job automatically sets the -a option, so the best approach would be to create a new storage for new backups.

I’m using the web interface and I have another huge backup on the same storage so I guess my only option remaining is to never delete older backups.

Sorry I correct myself – the -a option is automatically added when you create a new prune job, but you can remove this option and add a -id backup_id option. Since only one -id option can be specified you’ll have to create one prune job per backup id.

1 Like

Ok so it’s perfect! Thanks a lot!

Perhaps -tag could be used?
If all backups from new pc had the same tag ‘newpc’, he could use -tag newpc to target all of them?

I’d certainly like to see -tag used more (e.g. hopefully soon Gilbert will add that capability to the copy command)…

But in this case, I think we need more options like being able to specify multiple -ids in a prune command and maybe even an -exclude in which you can also specify multiple of these. Maybe even wildcard pattern matching for ids? IMO, these changes are kinda necessary in support of different retention periods.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be easier to just create a new snapshot-id for the new computer/home?

Chunks already backuped will be used with the new snapshot-id.

This way prune will run only for the new snapshot-id, preserving the revisions created with the old snapshot-id.

It’s a solution to the OP question (I will not be touching my old home folder snapshot anymore. How do I preserve it from being pruned?), without worries about the keep parameter

1 Like

I don’t understand how it would preserve the old snapshot-id?
I created a new snapshot-id but the prune command is applied to the entire storage and I already have another snapshot in the same storage folder.

Just execute the prune command with the id option pointing only to the new snapshot-id:

And execute a second prune command pointing to this other snapshot-id.

Oh ok you were referring to the prune command when you were saying « snapshot-id », I misunderstood sorry!
Yes I plan to do this! Thanks